Is there a way to stop comb pecking?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WillowWispFarm, Jul 28, 2014.

1. WillowWispFarm

WillowWispFarm Chirping

Mar 27, 2014
    Upstate NY
    I noticed that a few of my girls have been target to getting pecked on and one even lost part of her comb. I put blue coat on it and after a few days I can see its starting to heal up. I put but my bantams outside yesterday and when i got home I noticed my little rooster got pecked and was bleeding, no really bad damage but still enough to bleed. So I was wondering if there is something that I could do to stop that so no one else gets hurt.

2. azygous

azygous Free Ranging 8 Years

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Your feed store should carry Rooster Booster Pick-no-mor. It's a vile, greasy substance that has a taste and smell that repels chickens.

3. WillowWispFarm

WillowWispFarm Chirping

Mar 27, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Thank you very much, picking some up tomorrow.

4. Fancypants1

Fancypants1 Chirping

Apr 2, 2014
    Central Massachusetts
    Let me know how it works and for how long. I have an Egyptian fayomie that is bullying my polish. Pecked their head feathers completely off and their heads were bleeding and swollen. The EF is now isolated in her own pen across the yard to give her a timeout for a week or so. Hopefully this isolation technique will knock her off her high horse! Let me know if it works. Is that spray just to deter roosters or hens pecking on other hens?

[VIDEO][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [/VIDEO]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  5. WillowWispFarm

WillowWispFarm Chirping

Mar 27, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Aww poor baby, yeah they actually took a chunk out of my one hens comb. I will find out soon, I ran out of money (needed gas and also made a truck payment) but I get my paycheck tomorrow and thats when i'm picking it up. Since the other day there hasn't been any more comb pecking, but i also put a small head of lettuces in there and that kept them busy. I think i need more toys for them or something. I will let you know tho. I would also blue coat that if it was my hen. I worked on a horse farm for a while and thats what we put on even small scratches to help protect from infections, I bought and keep a bottle of it in the coop.

6. Excessive pecking is usually caused by boredom. How much room do they have?

7. WillowWispFarm

WillowWispFarm Chirping

Mar 27, 2014
    Upstate NY
    I dont know the measurements but its a car port/event tent like thing that we put up and fenced off, rather decent size, (I say that because I"ve seen people with smaller ones) but i need to buy more toys I think.

8. azygous

azygous Free Ranging 8 Years

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Pick-no-mor is like axle grease, at least the form I use is. The trouble with it is that it ruins feathers, staining them and coating them with thick grease that won't wash away. You have to rely on several weeks of dirt bathing to lessen the effect even somewhat. But it does seem to work. Roosters and hens alike can't stand the taste or smell of it. The poor victim, when I apply it, is noticeably upset by the odor on herself.

If money is an issue, I've made a similar, homemade concoction, using Vicks, grape cool-aid(for taste) and Pepto Bismol (for odor). It seems to work as well as the Pick-no-mor and looks and smells very similar, at a fraction of the cost.

9. Fancypants1

Fancypants1 Chirping

Apr 2, 2014
    Central Massachusetts
    I used Vicks Vapor Rub but like anything else it comes off and you need to re-apply. Just rub it on the backs - not anywhere they can reach and eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: