1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is there a way to teach a rooster NOT to do this??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Nov 7, 2008.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Silly chook is SO brave he's stupid!

The roo and the dog had come to terms with one another. Early on the rooster had given the dog a big peck right between the eyes and the dog decided that the roo was not worth the bother. All was good.

But, a week or so ago the rooster decided that the dog wasn't avoiding the hens by far enough and went after her. The stupid dog thinks the rooster is playing!! She jumps back and puppy bows (you know the play with me pose) and the rooter jumps at her and then the game is on!

Except the dog is the only one playing! I am afraid the dog is going to kill the rooster by accident and I keep yelling at the dog, but as soon as she pulls away the rooster attacks her!

I put the dog out on a leash and the rooster came all the way around the house and started attacking the dog. The poor dog cowered against the door.

Am I stuck with this? can a rooster be trained?

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I think Darwin's law will take care of your rooster.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Yeah, I'm thinkin with dumplings.

4. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Try a squirt gun when he goes for the dog. Or better yet a hose! I bet he learns real quick! Dog=wet!

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] My ducks do that, and they will not stop following the dog around showing their disaproval - if they get close enough they peck the dog, then she wants to play. [​IMG]

6. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    My Boston Terrier and a broody hen did this exact same thing this summer. Lulu (dog) thought the hen was playing when this hen came at her with wings spread out, neck feathers raised and squawking to high heaven. Lulu would just run in circles around the hen and the hen would eventually calm down and go back and sit in her nest.
    Today, they completely ignore each other. HORMONES!!!

But to help with your problem I suggest the garden hose.

7. sweetcorn

sweetcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Might not be a bad idea to let the dog have a healthy fear of the chickens , as some dogs will try to eat them [​IMG] Kinda like our vet told us , If you get a new cat , don't declaw it until it's taught your dogs to leave it be.

8. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I did a two way blast and got them both! But, roo doesn't seem detered! The dog was leashed and again the roo went into the area where the dog was and attacked her! Roo lost a few feathers......

The dog thinks its a game and is bowing with her tail wagging!! :mad:

I hope its not dumplings, we lost two chickens this week, bt I dislike forcing either the dog or the chooks to stay locked up all the time when they HAD been getting along so well until roo got his spurs on!

Would a water pistol work?? Hose is not real convenient. (I have the outside tap turned off in the basement due to freezing.)

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I have WHAT in my yard? :

I did a two way blast and got them both! But, roo doesn't seem detered! The dog was leashed and again the roo went into the area where the dog was and attacked her! Roo lost a few feathers......

The dog thinks its a game and is bowing with her tail wagging!! :mad:

I hope its not dumplings, we lost two chickens this week, bt I dislike forcing either the dog or the chooks to stay locked up all the time when they HAD been getting along so well until roo got his spurs on!

Would a water pistol work?? Hose is not real convenient. (I have the outside tap turned off in the basement due to freezing.)

Yeah, like a super soaker!​

10. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like he needs a nice blast from a fire hose!!!!! Young roos can be such a pain in the patoot!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by