Is there a way to tell a Phoenix chick from an Americauna?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Ravie, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Ravie

Ravie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    Greenfield, Indiana
    Hi Everyone,

I ordered some chicks from McMurray and opted to have the rare exotic packing peanut included. I'm trying to figure out which of my chicks it is!

It is probably impossible to tell, but I have one Easter Egg chick whose coloring is just a bit different than all the others. I suspect it's an Easter Egger, but is there a possibility that it is a Phoenix?

[​IMG]

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Looks like it has puffy cheeks. My guess is EE.

3. Ravie

Aug 4, 2010
    Greenfield, Indiana
    I think that's most likely true since I did order them. Would the puffy cheeked chicks have tufts later? I hope so! Fun!

4. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I don't think so but not completely sure. I think she/he will probably have muffs and a beard.

5. Chicker-Roo

Chicker-Roo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2010
    Washington
    My rooster was the "free rare exotic chick" from McMurray's too. And well he looked exactly like that one, and he turned out to be an EE. And I've heard that other people have gotten an EE as their free rare chick too. So my bets on an EE, but maybe?

6. Ravie

Aug 4, 2010
    Greenfield, Indiana
    Ah interesting. I wouldn't have considered an EE to be rare or exotic!

Here's one last picture. This is the only other one that really stands out from the others. He's larger and what you can't see is that he's got a two black dots on his head and back. He's also fluffier, but since he has cheeks too, I assume he's just a different colored EE. He has clean legs and his primaries are coming in white.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by