Is there a way to tell gender with Marans?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jettgirl24, Aug 4, 2010.

1. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    I hatched out 8 beautiful little Marans babies last week and while I know it's too early now, I'm wondering if there's a way to tell gender fairly early? I think I read that you can with black coppers but what about other colors? I hatched 4 splash, 3 blues, and 1 black.

2. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Congrats on the babies! No there really isn't a way to tell with Marans in any color variety except Cuckoo and Wheatens.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  3. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    Boo! I guess I'll have to be patient.... I'm only keeping 3 of the babies and selling the other 5. I live in the city and I can't have roosters so I want to wait until I can sex them to sell. I know with my luck if I sell them now that I'd end up with 3 little roos! LOL

Hopefully I'll have a good idea of what they are before they outgrow the brooder because I reeeaaally don't want to have to build a bigger one!

4. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    You should be able too see who is who by time they leave the brooder. Post some photos of them in about a week if you can. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by