Is there a way to tell if shes a buff orp or gold sex link?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by vjbakke, May 5, 2011.

1. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    She is more yellow than the other gold sex links I have, she is also getting her feathers in differently. It bugs me so much no know for sure what breed she is! She is our free meyer meal maker. She has gotten a lot more tail feathers than my GSL have. Is there a way to tell besides waiting till she grows up? [​IMG]

1 wk old

[​IMG]

4 wks old next to our 4 wk dom

[​IMG]

2. mrchicken

mrchicken Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    She's a Sex Link because she is too yellow.[​IMG]:jumpy

3. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    She actually does not look like a sex link to me. Sex links are more red.

But she is not a BO either, she's too red and mine don't have white wings (I have three 5 week old BO's) They are a uniform color all over.

If those are the only two choices, I'd go with a golden sex link but I'm not sure on that.

The Pro's will know!

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  4. vjbakke

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    It's posible she could be a NewHampshire red as well.

These are the only breeds she could be. My other gold sex links are not as yellow as here and have darker feathers coming in.

5. egg_tastic

egg_tastic Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    NC Foothills
    I don't think sex-link either. As small chicks my sex-links had more red on them. At the size yours is in the last photo mine have a ton of red feathers. 4

As a young chick

[​IMG]

At 2.5 weeks old - see all the red feathers

[​IMG]

6. sdeneen2001

sdeneen2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    My gold sexlink was that color at 4 weeks. There are a variety of different ways to make a sexlink, the variation could just be due to the "formula" that the hatchery used. [​IMG]

7. CowgirlMama

CowgirlMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Baker City, Oregon
    Your picture of her at 4 wks looks just like my GSL pullets at that age- same coloring.... I'm not an expert however... just saying she looks like mine! [​IMG]

8. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    gold sex link, if she was a buff orp her coloring would be a more even yellow, without the white

9. vjbakke

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Thanks! I am actually hoping that she is a gsl and not a buff orp.From what I have read they are larger birds and that would be a lot larger than the rest of the flock. I do see variations in my gsl that were hatched on the same day, one is very red and the other two are the more brownish buff color.

10. F106A

F106A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Texas Big Country
    She looks alot like three of mine I had the exact same queston about. The answer, or suggestion rather, I got was they might be buff rocks. I also have six barred rocks that I was told by TSC were Doms, but as they have feathered out, they are defintely BRs. They look just like the one you have in the photo.

Here's a shot of my flock, less six production reds in another brooder. This was just when they were four weeks old, and they are at six weeks now. I am really not sure what the white ones are, but they came out of the same "assorted pullets" tank at TSC, and two are roos.

Mark

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by