Is there a way to tell the sex on Just Hatched Lavender Orpington Chic

Seeing Silkies

Songster
9 Years
Sep 12, 2010
Columbia TN
Is there a way to tell the sex on Just Hatched Lavender Orpington Chicks? I know with the RIR there is a 90% right way to sex them by there feathers at 1 day old, I never tried it, But the man I bought my flock from was 100% right on his sexing, - Well I am getting ready to put a batch of Lavender Orpington's in lock down in 2 days. I bought 12 eggs ( good $$$ ) and I have 8 good incubating eggs, 2 were clear 2 stopped, they were shipped eggs... Be my luck I will have 7 roos and 1 hen... Would like to know asap LOL. Well if any one has a trick of the trade that works PLEASE do tell
wink.png

lol.png
Merry Christmas to all,

I know sounds like I will have to wait, wait wait wait LOL. I cant remember how the man did it, But with the rhoad island reds, he said he could tell by there feathers at 1 day old, I bought my rir when they were 4 weeks old, he said they were all hens but 1 and thats what they are. Has any one ever heard of the feather thing at 1 day old? could it work on the Lavender orpington's? I am going to see if I can search on the feather thing.

Have a good one

This is what I found, & I will just have to wait and see with these baby's.

copy & past

Sexing chicks is a difficult job to do well.
Vent sexing or identifying the sex of a day old chick by looking at its sexual organs is done by very well trained people. It takes a long time to learn how to identify the more than 15 different shapes of the cloaca. Chicks are often damaged or killed by squeezing them too hard when done by a novice handler.

Feather sexing is based on feather characteristics that differ between male and female chicks.The feather appearances are determined by specially selected genetic traits called sex-link that must be present in the chick strain. Most breeds of chickens do not have these feather sexing characteristics and the feathering of both sexes appear identical. Day old chicks sold at Hatcheries are sometimes offered with this genetic trait.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_determine_the_sex_of_a_day_old_chick#ixzz19BMuoybc

done
copy & past

ok no guareentees..but my method has worked for me..based on different breeds.. cochins= whilest still wet from hatching males comb extends longer across heads..hens will be short. this also works on several other breeds......wing feathers..hold to light..males tips are pointed..hens rounded..except for breeds such as seabrights....clean legged standard breeds..the legs..look for nubs..both hens X roos will have them..but roos will be higher up the leg..hens closer to foot....some breeds i can sex just by coloring or pattern markings even tho they are not color sex linked breeds....blue cochins..males are darker shade then hens..even at day one.....after youve hatched & studied your own birds will come easier...my way of doing things others will shoot down..but..for many years i might be wrong once in awhile..but..generally works for me.

soap&eggs :

ok no guareentees..but my method has worked for me..based on different breeds.. cochins= whilest still wet from hatching males comb extends longer across heads..hens will be short. this also works on several other breeds......wing feathers..hold to light..males tips are pointed..hens rounded..except for breeds such as seabrights....clean legged standard breeds..the legs..look for nubs..both hens X roos will have them..but roos will be higher up the leg..hens closer to foot....some breeds i can sex just by coloring or pattern markings even tho they are not color sex linked breeds....blue cochins..males are darker shade then hens..even at day one.....after youve hatched & studied your own birds will come easier...my way of doing things others will shoot down..but..for many years i might be wrong once in awhile..but..generally works for me.

Thank You, I will try them & make notes and will seen how & what may work on theses, in the weeks to come - I am keeping them all - unless the roos out # the hens but it will be months before I have to worry about that., I have some rocking eggs since last night & peeps this am, so it will be soon.
Thanks a bunch
smile.png
off to take a nap its going to be a long night;)

Back
Top Bottom