Is there a way

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by moodlymoo, Oct 13, 2011.

1. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    I am in the market for a few good SQ birds and was wondering if there was a way to tell if it is a hatchery bird or not? I am steering away from hatchery birds because of a lot of issues and treatment of animals. My daughter wants GOOD show quality birds and since I am new to finding specific breeds I need all the help I can get.

2. destiny_56085

destiny_56085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    If you want true show quality birds, contact an established breeder that isn't going to feed you a line of BS. If you want the caliber of bird ready to compete, expect to pay accordingly. You probably want to get birds that are 8+ months of age to get an idea of quality. Younger birds will be cheaper usually, but they don't always finish out decent. You can also go the route of eggs or chicks from a breeder too, but don't expect magical results. There are still a fair share of culls to weed through to get those gems.

First of all buy a standard of perfection and educate yourself as a buyer. Go to a few shows in the area and take a look at what is winning. Most of those breeders are usually willing to talk your ear off. Become a member in the breed association and they are usually great sources of information too. Fall is a great time to pick up birds since most breeders are narrowing down on birds before winter. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    Thanks. I am going to a show this weekend with my daughter as it will be her deal. I am expecting to pay through the nose for a chicken but it would be nice not to. I think a good age for starting out is no younger than 16weeks or so??? I really have no idea. We may have a few in out flock now who will make good show birds but my daughter doesnt like the breeds we have. Why do girls have to be so dang picky?

4. destiny_56085

destiny_56085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    Well a word of warning... with the breeds your daughter has picked, I hope you have a separate coop set up. Unless they have been raised with standards, both silkies and polish are usually picked on hardcore. Both are crested breeds and quite a bit of the time have vaulted skulls. I can't blame your daughter... the silkies dominate all the pens in my barn.

16 weeks is still a bit young to evaluate. Most of the pullets take at least 6-8 months and cockerels up to a year to fully blossom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by