1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Is there an all natural product for worming and mites?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nuts4chickens, Jun 29, 2010.

1. nuts4chickens

nuts4chickens Songster

Sep 19, 2009
    Kingston, GA
    Just wondering if there is an all natural product for worming my flock and for mites? I have never wormed them before and I am thinking I probably should. Also noticed a few mites today on one of my birds and I want to treat them before it gets out of hand. We eat their eggs so I need a safe product with no withdrawal time. Any advice?

2. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Songster

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    You can use food grade DE for preventative maintenance, but if you really feel like they need worming I would go and get some wazine

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member 9 Years

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Use sevin dust to kill lice/mites; dust their house, nests, everything. Redust everything again including chickens in 10 days to kill the ones that have hatched since first dusting. How old are your chickens and is there anything to make you suspect they have worms?

4. nuts4chickens

nuts4chickens Songster

Sep 19, 2009
    Kingston, GA
    Dawg- I have 1 flock that is a year old and another that's 16 weeks. I have 1 hen that's a year old that I'm thinking may be a little wormy because her comb color is a little pale. She went broody a couple months ago with a few other hens and they have all returned to condition except her.I realize they will have a pale comb after brooding, but she hasn't pinked back up like the others. I think she picked up mites while she was setting and she just seems to need a little boost. She isn't infested with mites or anything...no feather loss or anything, and I only saw ONE on her today. But I'm thinking she may be a little wormy in addition and it might be a good idea to go ahead and be proactive. She's eating, drinking,ranging, perfectly fine other than that. I've read on forums here where people regularly worm their flocks and I was thinking I should probably have some sort of program. Since I've never used DE, or any other preventative, I thought they probably have worms, although maybe not a heavy load of them, but with the heat, I don't want them to get overwhelmed especially in these HOT georgia summer days. What do you think?

5. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Songster

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Old school here.But then again We do have naturaly growing Poke Berry Bushe's.Most have access to blackberrie's and the like also.I have heard a lot of good thing's about DE but have never used it.I don't use any chemical wormer's on any of my bird's ever.I have never used anything chem. other than lice/ mite powder in 2 pen's of bird's in 6 year's.But then again I free range most bird's in fall and winter and they get all natural earthy thing's which is natural to them.Naturaly dusting in dirt and eating natural food for them.If you think you need to worm Use DE instead of the chemical stuff .

6. nuts4chickens

nuts4chickens Songster

Sep 19, 2009
    Kingston, GA
    I've never used any chemicals either. I like to keep them organic, too. Mine only get to free range 3 or 4 times a week, so I don't know if that is good. I'll try the DE and Sevin. That should probably be good enough from what you are saying.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member 9 Years

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    DE, cayenne pepper,crushed garlic,dieselgrl's poke berries all might be good preventatives, but they wont kill worms. If you want to start a worming program, be prepared to throw eggs in the garbage. A chicken that has worms acts lethargic, doesnt eat or drink much, slows or stops laying and doesnt act like a chicken ie...pecking,scratching etc...I worm according to the weather. If it's hot, humid, rainy all the time, that means the soil is damp and wet which is condusive for worms, I'll worm every 6 months. If it's been hot and no rain for a long time or very cold and no rain I'll hold off on worming and maybe do it every 10-11 months. As you know nuts4chickens, here in Georgia we have dry spells and then at times we need to start building Noah's ark lol. I use wazine17 first, then 2 weeks later I use one of the following wormers: Safeguard, Valbazen or Ivermectin Pour On. The reason for a second worming is because wazine takes care of large roundworms and not their larva nor eggs. Then in 2 weeks use one of the listed wormers to kill them and other types of worms that chickens have also. Worms literally suck the life out of chickens, untreated,it is a slow starvation death for them. When you see a lethargic chicken...that is what is happening,it is slowly dieing. It's the owners fault if left untreated and chemicals must be used to kill the worms, it's too late for non chemicals. Also worms cause damage to the chickens innards. Ready to worm now? Dosage for wazine 17 is 1 ounce per 1 gallon of water for ALL your chickens. Remove all water prior to chickens going to bed at night. Early the next morning put the wazine water out for them. It must be their sole source of drinking water for 24 hours. After the 24 hours is up,discard the wazine water and provide them regular freshwater. On the 3rd day provide your chickens plain yogurt or buttermilk as probiotics to rebuild their immune system, give them extra protein (canned beef catfood) all this mixed in their feed to make a mash,then give it to them. Repeat this for a couple more days. Do not feed their eggs back to them, if you do, you will be extending the withdrawal time beyond 14 days. The eggs may contain wazine in them however slight,all wormers are poisons. Throw the eggs in the garbage. If your still interested in a worming your chickens with the secondary wormers after the wazine, PM me. I'm going to bed. Goodnight.

8. Beekissed

Beekissed Free Ranging

You can use crushed garlic in their water for de-worming, as well as feeding them pumpkin seeds...with the hulls on. You can also put a small amount of mild soap in their water for this. The garlic works for the mites also.

Parasites do not like garlic and I'm wondering if it isn't the high sulfur content that does it. Pumpkin seeds contain a chemical that paralyzes the worms and they detach and are expelled. Soap removes their oily protective layer on the surface of their skin, allowing the digestive acids to penetrate and kill them.

I would hesitate to use Seven dust if you are worried about chemicals...anything that is topically applied can be absorbed into the blood stream and right into the eggs.

Try some NUStock ointment for the mites. I tried olive oil, bag balm, vaseline, cooking oil...you name it, they came back after a short while. Then I tried the Nu-Stock cream, which is pine tar, sulfur and mineral oil. One application and it worked wonders! It even helped them shed the old scales and grow lovely new ones. They got immediate relief after the application and seemed much happier the very next day.

I got mine at the local feed store but you can order it online...just do a google. Neat stuff to keep around for any kind of wounds, fungus or parasites on livestock.

9. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Songster 9 Years

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    I use Verm-X all natural wormer with good results. Note this is a prevenitive that prevents worm infestation. If the birds already have worms, you will have to de-worm with a chemical wormer then resume using Verm-X.

www.Verm-xusa.com

10. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco 8 Years

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    DE is cheap and is good for internal and external parasites.

BUT have you checked to see if she may be eggbound? It is possible if you thought she was broody. Also, how does her crop look? Is it emptying like it should. I had 2 pullets get sour crop and then they became impacted as well because I didn't catch it early enough. They will keep eating and act fairly normal if they have this, but their color becomes pale and they are definitely not as well as they seem. Just a note so you don't miss anything. It is a pain in the rear to fix those problems if they don't get take care of early enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: