Is there an ideal time for chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by naturababe, Jan 18, 2011.

1. naturababe

naturababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    Is there an ideal time for chicks to hatch in order to maximize egg laying or meat yumminess? I know if chicks hatch too late in the fall they can have problems maturing fast enough and can be hurt when they first start to lay but i was wondering if there is an ideal time on the other end.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I have brooded chicks at all times of the year and I don't think it makes a bit of difference. Fall chicks are nice because by spring, they are laying. Spring chicks are nice cuz when your adults molt, the pullets are laying.

As long as you have an area to brood them that they can be kept warm while feathering out, it will be fine.

ETA: I've got chicks right now that were hatched on New Years Day.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  3. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

I'm more for hatching/buying chicks in the Spring [​IMG]

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Any time is a good time... [​IMG]

5. chickfamilyonsleepyhollow

chickfamilyonsleepyhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I agree that Spring is the best time of year if you live in a cold winter climate ... if you live in a mild year-round climate then I'd say anytime is a great time [​IMG] got our chicks mid April (red sex-links) ... moved them out to the coop in late May ... they started laying in late August [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Right now through the beginning of March is the best time for dual-purpose chicks so they'll be fully into lay while the older birds are molting this fall. February through the end of March for Leghorns and similar such breeds for the same reasons.

7. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    If you're taking proper care of your birds the time of year they hatch will have no bearing on the rate at which they develop.

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree that Spring is the best time of year if you live in a cold winter climate ... if you live in a mild year-round climate then I'd say anytime is a great time [​IMG] got our chicks mid April (red sex-links) ... moved them out to the coop in late May ... they started laying in late August [​IMG]

This is true. Unless you like brooding in your house. (although some of you eastern states people are lucky with basements to brood chicks)

I do live in a mild climate, so for me it doesn't matter. Right now it's 60 degrees in the daytime and high 40's at night-chicken heaven. We do get cold occasionally (and snow), but nothing compared to most states frigid weather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by