Is there an opposite of splayed leg?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by janel, Sep 9, 2010.

1. janel

janel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2010
    Ogden, UT
    One of my chicks, which are hatching a day ahead of schedule, has feet that turn inward. I don't have a working camera but he walks, poorly, on the outer sides of his feet. He just attempted suicide in the water bowl. I have separated him from the rest, and the water for now. Can anyone tell me what this is, how I can prevent it in the future, and whether this little guy has a chance? Thanks

2. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    hello,im sorry about your baby.im no expert but you could try a chicky bootie.go up to google search and you should be able to find some directions.good luck...

3. janel

janel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2010
    Ogden, UT
    Thank you. I've been reading up and it looks like chick toe paralysis caused by a riboflavin deficiency. It also could be too low humidity but they can't seem to walk well, which is more associated with the riboflavin deficiency and causes death in about 3 weeks. I'm writing this in hopes that others benefit. I'm grateful for your recommendation and will google chickie bootie next.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by