is there another breed very similar to the white leghorn

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mfranti, Aug 26, 2008.

1. mfranti

mfranti Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2008
    salt lake city
    but with a much smaller comb?

i have one gal who is the same age as the other two white girls but she's just a little different.

sorry. no pics. i'm at work.

thanks

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If it's just one girl from 3 and they share the same body style, could be that she's not ready to lay yet or her genes just encode for smaller comb.

If she's larger, then there are other white breeds of chickens or chickens that come in white.

3. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    I think I may have the same issue bought what I thought were california rocks however at least 2 of them are white leghorns. They were all fluffy yellow chicks with a couple of black spots each. Will post pics soon.

4. mfranti

Aug 12, 2008
    salt lake city
    she's very similiar to the other white birds but a little smaller. i thought it was age too but she was bought at the same time.

my other leghorns combs and waddles are getting nice and red, her's are small and pinkish.

thanks for your help.

ps. getting a picture of any of the white birds in impossible. i wish someone told me how skiddish those birds are. i'm actually thinking of re-homing them.

but i need to find someone willing to sell me a laying hen around the same age. sure! that'll be easy 'round here.

5. doodledoo

doodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    Cartersville, GA
    I have 4 White Leghorn hens and 3 of them got large, red floppy combs about a month before the 4th but she has finally started to catch up and lay.

6. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    Are you sure they are all girls. Maybe you have two cockerels and a pullet.

7. mfranti

Aug 12, 2008
    salt lake city
    i don't believe i do. i had a roo and he was from the same batch. he was bigger, crowed, and had longer tail feathers. they are all about 27-28 wks now...i think i could tell if they were roosters by now.

i looked at some pics of white rocks hens and the combs are similar (at least from the pics i've seen) i don't know much about chickens but are they similar in size too?

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    OEG hen?

9. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    Can you tell us what color her earlobes are?

10. mfranti

Aug 12, 2008
    salt lake city
    earlobes?

i will have to look tonight. i know the bigger white birds have a yellow dot on the side of their heads. don't know if i noticed it on the smaller combed girl.

let you guys know.

thanks for trying to help guys. this place is great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by