Is there any 3 Day Eventers out there?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Campine Lover, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Campine Lover

Campine Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Moss Beach, CA
    (warning~horse talk! [​IMG] )
    I'm an Eventer! For those who don't know, Eventing is when English riders compete in 3 Events with their horses:
    [​IMG] Dressage

[​IMG] Show Jumping

[​IMG] and Cross Country

Then, goofing around after!
    [​IMG]

That is LJ, my Tobiano Quarter Horse who I've had for almost 9 years! To Event, you've got to have a great horse! [​IMG]
    Does anyone out there do Eventing? I was beggining to think chickens and Eventing doesn't mix![​IMG]

2. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    I haven't actually taken the plunge, but I thought about the sport when I first got my mare. She had been shown on the Michigan Hunter/Jumper circuit and loved to jump. We began doing a lot of trail riding and the few times we used the arena, she was really bored. I'd had a strong background in dressage so eventing seemed like a natural thing to do then. But, at the time there were very few events in Michigan, so I ended up doing endurance/competitive trail instead and she took so well to that, I didn't think about it for years.

Last year I boarded at a 3 day event barn in southern, MI when I worked there and they seemed to think I was weird that I'd ride 25miles+ and not jump anything. [​IMG] They did have a nice cross-country course but it had been so long since I had jumped anything more than small logs that I was a little intimidated.

I do enjoy watching it though. I wish it would get more coverage in the Olympics

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I used to event some years ago, up through Training level. My husband still does professional photography at local horse trials on weekends.

I miss eventing a LOT -- there is nothing like galloping a good horse over a big XC course -- but I don't think I'm likely to get back to it unless we win the lottery. I'm getting older and don't bounce as well as I used to, either [​IMG]

Pat

4. TMNTCkins

TMNTCkins Chillin' With My Peeps

My daughter (10 yrs) has and ex-pony club horse that did 3-Day Eventing. Great horse. She is taking dressage lessons right now but does some jumping for fun. She loves it.
    Here is a picture of her and Reggie at a horse show a few weeks ago. The got a 1 2nd, 3 3rds and a 4th. On to another show next weekend! Great looking horse you have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    [​IMG] Dressage can't be done in a pelham, last i checked.

I don't event, but i have a dressage/hunt-seat pleasure horse!

6. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    I don't do...well...any of the above! [​IMG]

My three geldings are currently training. My 10 year old Foxtrotter needs to be completely retrained. My 4 year old Foxtrotter I need to pick up working with, haven't even started him under saddle. And my 15 year old Draftx I haven't even ridden once this year! [​IMG]

My newest addition, 4 year old QH mare, needs to be finished. I'm thinking trail and Showmanship type classes with her. She has a huge scar on her butt that makes her rump look a little funky. I don't think she's jump/dressage worthy, although her gait is perfect and she's amazingly level headed and responsive.

Cross country would be amazing to do [​IMG] my 10 year hates jumps, my four year loves anything, and my ol' guy is just...old, and lazy xD
    Six more days until my mare arrives, auf!

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:I too was struck by the photo, if only because I have seen so few pelhams-with-roundings since I used to show small hunter shows in the 70s and early 80s.

But I know that nonrecognized horse trials often allow them in the lower levels; presumably that's what the pic is from?

Pat

8. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Sorry, I don't do English and/or eventing but...cant pass up a horse post, ever! Both your horses are lovely! I have 2 horses, a paint quarter mare and a spotted saddle gelding. My husband and I trail ride with a great group of friends and we have been having a blast for the last 2 years. I took some refresher lessons when I got my first horse (hadn't ridden since childhood) and we both were booorrreed in the arena! Of course we weren't doing anything fun like jumping either. I couldn't possibly ride English...there is no way I could get my big ol' rear into those skinny pants! [​IMG] I can't imagine what the view would be like from behind! [​IMG] You look like you are having a ball jumping that horse! I do love watching the 3 day eventing and dressage...or anything to do with horses actually. We have the Iroquois Steeplechase here every year and I try to go when I can.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  9. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    I school English in jeans. Just because you have a saddle doesn't mean you need to wear the breeches.

10. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    I call eventing suicide but then again I'm mainly an English show rider/occasional big show jumper or was til I changed countries anyway.
    When I see those monster jumps being taken at crazy speeds, I just wince [​IMG] Give me a huge 6 bar at a nice canter, no problem...give me a Guinness world record tree that must have fallen wrong to create that 8ft ditch in front of it & at a tear away gallop to boot, I think I'll just wet myself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by