is there any benefit to siding?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by GinaNew York, Apr 6, 2017.

1. GinaNew York

GinaNew York Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2012
    New York/CT
    As so many here, this is our first endeavor with chickens and designing a coop - Thanks to two wonderful men, I have combined ideas and come up with a plan for mostly everything to share with my son-in-law who is housing the chickens and doing the construction. Is there any benefit to putting siding outside a coop - I'm assuming that this would invite bugs and/or snakes to live under it. We're in CT and the coop will be exposed to mostly cold weather as the summer is short but getting hotter -

2. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    Can you provide a sketch or elaborate on your concerns about "siding"?

The external walls need to protect against weather and predators, so needs to be a hard, durable material of some type. But that could be anything from rough lumber to plywood to all manner of siding products up to and including metal. But generally, these are also going to be something on the exterior side of the framing. Often times, there is nothing at all on the inside of the framing.

3. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  4. GinaNew York

May 22, 2012
    New York/CT
    this was helpful - my concerns were that it would be more detrimental than helpful, but you've definitely cleared that up! I'm very glad to have the input of knowledge and experience!

5. EquiSally

EquiSally Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2013
    Waco TX
    We're building a decent sized (8'x8') coop now. The bottom 2' will be metal siding on the exterior. Then we're using reclaimed wood which will go up to about a foot from the roof line, then hardware cloth venting for the top foot that extends to a slanted roof. If that makes any sense. The exterior of our first family coop was all siding with just framing on the interior, and framed windows, and we never had any problems with snakes, chickens ate the bugs.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  6. GinaNew York

May 22, 2012
    New York/CT
    this is very helpful !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by