Is there any brake mechanics on BYC or people who know cars??

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by kezabel, Aug 5, 2009.

1. kezabel

kezabel Songster

Because if there is I have a question about a brake booster. I won't go into details now because I don't want to bore you all but if there is anyone who knows brakes I have a question for you [​IMG]

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I'll ask hubby..he'll be home in a few..

3. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Songster

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    My DH knows alot about cars, etc...what's the ?

4. kezabel

kezabel Songster

Thanks for the quick replys, My Mums car is making a hissing sound down underneath the brake pedal, I looked up hissing noise on the internet and it sounds like it is the brake booster.... I don't know for sure and would like other people who know about cars opinions before I attempt to fix it. Also is it a big job or is it something me and my hubby can fix?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  5. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Songster

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:When you raise your foot is there a SNAKE under the pedal??? [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. kezabel

kezabel Songster

Quote:When you raise your foot is there a SNAKE under the pedal??? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Lol No there isn't but I wish it was a snke at least then I'd know what it was [​IMG]

7. danielbrown

danielbrown Songster

Feb 27, 2009
    Spartanburg, sc
    Quote:It sounds like a vacuum leak.
    Is coming from the booster or something else under the dash?

With the car running fiddle with the ac/heater controls and see if that makes the sound change.

With the car running press the brake petal and listen for a change in the sound.

The booster has a check valve that holds vacuum so the power brakes work if the engine is not running. how long after the engine stops does the power assist work? It only works for a few pumps so you will have restart the engine and let the vacuum build up again.
    example, shut engine off wait 30 secs and try brakes. are they easy like when its running or does it feel stiff.

You can use some small hose. hold one end to your ear and use the other end to track down the sounds location.

8. tnlorprazer

tnlorprazer Songster

Jun 20, 2009
    SouthWest TN
    DH is an auto tech for a dealership. Here's his questions...

What kind of car is it?
    Does it hiss continuosly when the brake petal is held down?

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:It sounds like a vacuum leak.
    Is coming from the booster or something else under the dash?

With the car running fiddle with the ac/heater controls and see if that makes the sound change.

With the car running press the brake petal and listen for a change in the sound.

The booster has a check valve that holds vacuum so the power brakes work if the engine is not running. how long after the engine stops does the power assist work? It only works for a few pumps so you will have restart the engine and let the vacuum build up again.
    example, shut engine off wait 30 secs and try brakes. are they easy like when its running or does it feel stiff.

You can use some small hose. hold one end to your ear and use the other end to track down the sounds location.

Glad someone stepped in! Hubbys still not home. [​IMG] Daniel seems to know alot! Good luck with your car!

10. kezabel

kezabel Songster

Quote:Its a Honda Civic 1986 model, When you put your foot on the brake the hissing can't be heard as much but you can still here some air escaping from there but its not as loud.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: