Is there any hope (bator got turned off)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rosetinted, Jan 24, 2010.

1. rosetinted

rosetinted Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    England
    Last night the incubator was on fine, cooking away & on day 8-9.

I checked this morning & to my horror it was switched off (lead was yanked out) & the eggs had got down to 24 degrees (75 fahrenheit)

It must have been off for a few hours to cool down that much

I'm so gutted as I'd just candled them yesterday & they were all growing. They are shipped eggs plus some belonging to a friend.

Is there any hope at all for the eggs?

2. troy5775

troy5775 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2009
    bootheel of Missouri
    I would turn it back on and see. I had mine go off for a while before due to a power outage after about a week of developement and most still hatched.

3. rosetinted

rosetinted Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    England
    Ohh thankyou so much.

I put it back on as soon as I saw it, fingers crossed I am still in with a chance then!!

4. Kismet

Kismet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    New Hampshire, USA
    There is a young man from Indonesia who is a BYC'er (Mulia) who has had terrible troubles with electricity - he only has it for a few hours each day and is never sure when. But, he still managed to get some of his eggs to hatch! It is amazing how resilient these little eggs are! I bet that you will get most of them to hatch, especially since it sounds like you plugged it back in as soon as you discovered it. Mother hen gets up now and then from her nest - even her eggs cool down a bit.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by