is there any hope for my rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mom wewantchicks!, Apr 7, 2009.

1. mom wewantchicks!

mom wewantchicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    buckhannon,wv
    this is our first attempt at keeping a roo,he is a black cochin,just turned a year old. ok a little back round. he is the same age as my oldest set of hens,but not raised together,i got him in sept/oct. he wasnt crowing yet and making no attempts at other roosterly duties. well all the girls pretty much just beat him up at first,he is with six at the moment. well once he decided to man up my biggest and most dominat BA was not happy. so for awhile is seemed my 2 golden commets where his favorite,but just because my other 3,2 BA and a BR where having none of him lol. well now i have a hen that is pretty torn up and when i posted about it everyone said,he has to go. im not ready to blame him 100 percent for the damage though. i think what happened was one of two things,he started a small tear on the back of her neck,then when they where fighting it got worse,or he started it and she stuck her head into some chicken wire and made it worse. after reading all the horror storys about roos on here,i think i have a pretty good one,never tries to get after me of the kids,and only one other hen has some balding on the top of her head,no torn up feathers on the sides. my 5 year old son loves this guy and my 9 year old daughter is ready to give him away after the hens injury. she is seperate from everyone and im just wondering if after she is healed and rejoins the group if everything will be ok.should i give him a chance or just get rid of him. i have 8 more pullets to join in the group when they are ready and hopefully that will give him enough woman to spead his love and not have to be just picking on one or two.

2. mom wewantchicks!

mom wewantchicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    buckhannon,wv
  3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If he is not injuring any other hens, I don't see any damage caused by waiting until this hen is totally healed and trying to re-integrate them. The flock dynamics will cahnge while that hen is out. You'll just need to observe when you put her back to see what these changes are.

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    If you like the roo, try to give him another chance. If the hen's healing up okay, she should reintegrate without much issue. BUT - I will caution you that I have found it best to WAIT until all feathers grow back. This can take a month or longer. I know it's a pain, but I've had it happen more than once where I had one with a wound that healed, but feathers did not regrow yet, put them back in, and I was right back to square 1. They seem attracted to the bald spots. Are you absolutely SURE it was the roo that did this damage?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by