1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is there any hope for this rabbit??

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Glenmar, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Ok. I bought some hutches on craigslist, because I want to get back into rabbits. It was a good deal. They need a little modifications, but
    I could not have built them much better for the price. The problem is that they came with 5 rabbits that I will need to rehome.

One doe however is not using her back leggs. I think she may have messed up her back. I was not aware if she was like this when I picked them up, or if it could have happened later. I have only had them a few days. She does not seem to be in pain, just drags around the back legs. If it is inflamation, will she get better??

[​IMG]

2. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    It is hard to know what the cause is. It could be a truma related injury, birth defect, Neurological, disease anything really. The big question is do you want to keep this rabbit??? I suspect that it would be hard for this animal to survive in this condition without a lot of help and care. To be honest it doesn't look good for the Rabbit from what you say. Seperate her out and give her a few days of Special care away from the others. Extra vitamins in the water and a dose of antibiotics to take away any infection might help decrease any pressure on the spinal cord from inflamation. If there is no improvement in a few days I would think best thing to do is to get this little one put to sleep.

Oesdog [​IMG]

3. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    I used to save the rabbits from exhibitions that were slated to be sold off for meat. I had one like that and had my dad put it down. I hope you can find the answer that will allow this doe to live without suffering [​IMG]

4. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    I would try to give it a bit more love, and see if it comes out of it, if not put it down.

I am just wondering if you can't rehome these rabbits you are fine with keeping them right?

Otherwise I think you shouldn't have jumped the gun, there's lots of cages that people sell without rabbits.

5. Glenmar

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Quote:[​IMG]

6. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Quote:[​IMG]

I am not trying to be offensive I am honestly just wondering why buy cages that you had to take the rabbits? If you didn't want these rabbits and have to now turn around and try to rehome?

I mean I don't know where you live but I go on craigslist now and could find over 100 hutches without rabbits.

7. Glenmar

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    These were 6 hutches for $80. I have not seen others for that price.

8. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I have a rabbit with a similar problem, it's been a few days and I don't see it getting any better. I'm torn about if I should cull her or not. She will put her legs under her and mostly use her front feet to move, but if she goes to fast she falls over to her side. She seems more comfortable laying down with her feet off to her side and she does seem to have a lump on her back. Though she is still eating and drinking fine, doesn't seem to be in pain and for the most part has actually started to warm up to me.

She was a stray that I found (one of seven total), I think she fell off of something in the coop and injured herself probably while going a bit stir crazy.

9. Glenmar

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Since she does not seem to be in pain, I think I will give her some time to see what happens.
    I agree that it does not sound good. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by