Is there any hope this Orpington is a hen?

MydearWatson

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 20, 2010
CT
7 week old Black Orp

IMG_2300.jpg

This is my Blue Orp Assumed Rooster, same age as the Black Orp.

IMG_2302.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
REALLY?! Were they that red? What about behavior, were you able to tell they were hens by the way they behaved?

I'm anxious to sex the black one for sure since if its a roo, Im trading it in for a hen, most likely this week. But if its a hen I SO want her, I love her to bits! I'm keeping the Blue either way. He's a sweetheart.

Last edited:
The first pic is feathering in on the wing tops at 7 weeks like most BBS Orp males do. Some will fool you, but they just don't have red combs and wattles like that. Males in the BBS variety rarely have large combs, either. The Buff Orps tend to develops differently than the BBS Orps. I've raised both.

Black Orp female at 7 weeks old--see the diff?

DSCN1923.jpg

I've read that Orps are tricky, one week they are definitley roos, the next they turn out to be hens!
he.gif

The Black Orp goes after my Blue quite a bit and today when s/he ran after him, the neck feathers all stuck out. Like a cat when it hisses. That kind of sealed the deal for me, none of my others do anything like that. The Black and Blue Orps act similarly and the Black is definitely the leader of the flock. But then there are other times, I look at the Black Orp and the comb and wattles look nothing like Blues.
hu.gif
I'm going coo-coo! I dont want to give up a hen if I dont have to.

Back
Top Bottom