Is there any hope?? **UPDATED pg 2**

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by iFairyx, Aug 5, 2011.

1. iFairyx

iFairyx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    England
    Hi there,

One of my chicks was late hatching, and I don't think he/she has formed properly.
    He's now coming up to two days old and has opened his eyes, his legs look
    odd (and to me they look like they are now in the right position) and this prevents him from walking normally.
    On top of this he is not overly active (the others were far more alert when they was the same age).

I've said I will give him until Monday to see if he improves, is this harsh? I really want him
    to get it together but I don't want him to suffer because I am being selfish by keeping him alive.

Advice please?

iFairy x

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  2. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Pictures would help.

3. iFairyx

Aug 3, 2011
    England
    I've just gone and taken a few, please excuse my inability to use my dads camera...

His face

[​IMG]

This is how he lays normally, or when he tries to get from A to B he will kind of hobble

[​IMG]

This is as close as he can come to standing on his own....

[​IMG]

thanks
    iFairy x

4. iFairyx

Aug 3, 2011
    England
    Anyone??

5. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    It looks like splayed/spraddle leg . There are threads on here that show pics of how to make a little brace for the chicks legs to keep them where they need to be. I have very limited experience with this myself but I do know time os of the essence.

Eta link
    http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  6. humpbacks1962

humpbacks1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2007
    Middletown, CT
    The bird has the right to live, but it has the right to live as a normal, self-sufficient chicken.
    Give it a few days and if God does not take care of it, you may have to make the decision to have a completely dependent, special needs chick to care for or help him go. If it is a male, I would not use him/her to breed if you decide to care for him, though.

Hard, hard choice. I am sorry.

7. iFairyx

Aug 3, 2011
    England
    Thank-you so much for that link!!
    I've just put one on him/her and fingers crossed it will help him out.

If he can walk then its a huge start, I'm not sure what the issues with his eyes (or lack of) are yet, but having
    him walking would be a step in the right direction. If its a girl, then being blind would not be an issue as much
    as I will keep her seperate to the others (or make sure shes not picked on if she is with them), if its a roo
    then I can't really keep him myself as the cockeral I have has already got one lady complaining - but I'm sure I could
    find him a home (there are sanctuaries nearby that operate a 'no kill' policy).

If he can't walk then I may have to reconsider as that would be almost cruel to let him carry on.

So please keep your fingers crossed!
    I'll post some photos tomorrow to update you on the progress!!

Thanks again,
    iFairyx

8. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I think there are other birth defects present. It's hard to tell with those pics, but the skull seems small and the eyes seem sunken. If there are other defects present, I would cull the baby. If the chick seems to know how to eat and drink on it's own, I would give it a try. Good luck with your baby.

9. iFairyx

Aug 3, 2011
    England
    Well he seems to be standing a lot better today - but is still very wobberly.

I checked his eyes and manage to find them! They are very small =/
    I'm not really sure if they will improve or not but really want to do my best to keep him going...

He eats and drinks (with help) and I think has managed to eat some on his own so i am hoping that
    he will get the hang of it.

10. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Best of luck with him, I'm so glad he's standing now. Keep us updated with how he gets on. Fingers crossed. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by