Is there any logic to having two per breed minimum?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tommysgirl, Jan 22, 2013.

1. tommysgirl

tommysgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    I don't mean two examples of EVERY breed out there. What I mean is last year when I bought chicks for the first time I bought multiples of each breed. I just thought that it would be nice to have at least two of each or the represented breeds in my flock. And it is they look so pretty...two black two white and two red against the green grass.

Now I am looking to get more chicks this spring and I want to get a breed that goes broody. I have decided on Speckled Sussex and Dorkings if I can find them, also getting a couple EE's and 5 Swedish Flower hens in a straight run. The chicken math temptress is whispering in my ear "get two SS because you don't know when the Dorkings will be coming your way and each chick should have a same breed buddy." I need some logic so I can shut her up. Is one of each good? In my current flock they do sort out by breed. The girls that look alike hang together. If/When the dorkings come available I would like to have 2-4. We have room...my amazing husband is willing/eager to support my habit but I am hoping to have broody hens hatching their own eggs next spring but don't know that I want 6 broodies at once and for sure I don't want to end up on an episode of "Chicken Hoarders" But I don't want my SS girl to be lonesome as the ONLY singleton on the place. Am I borrowing trouble?

Thanks!

2. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I've never kept to the two of each breed. I've gotten whatever strikes my fancy, and my birds have their buddies with whomever.

I have a singleton SS, and she does just fine. Of course, the only breed I've had two of at the same time was lavender ameraucana. Oh, and for the record, the only chicken I've ever had go broody was a french black copper marans. My little speckled sussex has been an egg laying machine.

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Breeds are a human creation. Chickens see other chickens. Get what you like, it won't matter to them. And my two Welsummers are on opposite ends of the pecking order -- they don't hang out together. The two Marans (of entirely different colors) do because they joined the flock at the same time. I think that may be what you're seeing.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  4. tommysgirl

Mar 18, 2012
    Thank you!

Sphinx. That's funny that your SS is an egg laying machine and never goes broody. If my future one is the same than hopefully the future Dorkings, will get that mothering feeling [​IMG]

debid I like your explanation of breeds being human creation I know that my hens don't know what they look like so don't intentionally choose buddies that look like them. It has probably been a similar behavior thing that keeps my girls together by breed. The Delawars are constantly exploring, The Australorps are both low on the pecking order and sort of stick close to the roo and the Red Stars are both the top girls and they spend their time doing whatever they please. :)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I usually get at least two of each breed as well. Mostly in case I should happen to loose one, then I'm not left without that specific breed...
    Nikki

6. tommysgirl

Mar 18, 2012
    Nikki that's part of my philosophy too but...with all the breeds I would like to add...well I would become the poultry version of the scary cat lady in no time :)

7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Believe me, I understand how chicken math works :lau I had more then 60 birds this past summer. It was seriously out of control :oops:
    Nikki

8. PenelopeFlys

PenelopeFlys New Egg

Jan 24, 2013
    Your post is interesting because out of our 6 chicks (4 BR, 1 Brahma and 1 RIR), the Brahama and the RIR always seems to cozy up together... we got them all at the same time. Out of the 4 BRs, they've gotten to the point where I couldnt' exactly tell them apart so I put some Crayola washable marker on their head and the two of the BRs consistently hang out together as well (my "perchers") We initially got 6 in case 2 died, we would still have 4 since we're limited on space...

9. audrey02026

audrey02026 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Dedham, Ma
    If you want a brrody get a silkie, My silkie is always broody she even is now and it's 10 degrees outside. I have let her hatch two sets of large fowl chicks and she is a very good mom as well. I like to hatch chicks and I have been giving her eggs too as she is always broody. A Silkie is a bantam hen and lays small eggs...when they aren't broody but she is a sweet hen and always lets me collect the eggs from under her when I don't want babies. I would suggest getting a silkie if you are wanting a broody hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by