is there any such thing as organic cracked corn?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by notducky, Mar 19, 2015.

1. notducky

notducky Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2014
    Or at least non-gmo? I feed the girls organic pellets but I've been unable to find a treat option. Do they not need scratch/cracked corn/ sunflower seeds everyday? I've been doing black oil sunflower seeds in hopes it was not gmo bc I'm sure the cracked corn is. What do you feed your girls?

2. Sirius452

Sirius452 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2015
    I saw a 5lb bag of organic cracked corn on Amazon for $8. I haven't tried it since I pretty much stick to organic layer pellets. If I don't have any leftovers they can eat I might give them yogurt or scramble an egg for them. I don't give them treats everyday, perhaps 3 to 4 times a week. I've heard that sunflower seeds can be high in fat. It might be worth looking into whether they are ok as a treat by themselves.

3. Rooster14250

Rooster14250 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2015
    I used to feed my hens scratch corn every day in the morning. Now I give them cheese and milk since my goats and cow finally produced surplus milk. The milk and cheese is high in calcium and protein, so it helps with the eggs.

4. maddog3355

maddog3355 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2014
    Missouri
    There is such a thing but might be hard to find. If there is Amish around your area I would look there.

5. notducky

notducky Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2014
    I've been treating them everyday, maybe I shouldn't bother? They also get scraps from my kitchen.

6. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

This may be a completely ignorant question....but, aren't organic pellets still corn based? Meaning they are getting it from somewhere, right?

7. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Yes. Green Mountain Feeds in Vermont has an organic cracked corn. I'm posting from my phone so can't see if your profile indicates where you're located.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by