is there any thing they shouldn't eat?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jaatee, Mar 21, 2015.

1. jaatee

jaatee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2015
    I see everyone posting things there baby chicks are eating, Is there anything they should not eat?

2. jaatee

Mar 1, 2015
    my RIR's chicks are 3 weeks old today. I gave them some Alfalfa hey pieces today and they loved it. They ate every piece.

3. jaatee

Mar 1, 2015
    I try to handle them as much as possible so they can get use to me but now at 3 weeks they are still afraid of me. Everytime I get near there pen they run from me. What should I do?

4. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    I'll try to answer both of your Q's. Move slowly with your hand towards the chick, try to pick it up by slipping your hand under the breast and abdomen. If you just descend on the chick's back side like a hawk, that is what it's instinct thinks you are. Talk softly and nicely to your chicks. that's the way they talk to each other. Cup the chick safely between your hands so it doesn't fall, but if it does, it won't break.
    If you are feeding your chicks anything solid besides chick starter, make sure to give them chick grit, especially for grasses. Birds use their crop and gizzard to grind food since they don't have teeth. They need sharp little stones to do the grinding, kinda like a mill. They know to eat it, just sprinkle it in the brooder or put in separate bowl. Welcome to the world of chickens and BYC! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by