is there any tips on telling the sex of baby buff orpingtons please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by joegwendolyn, Mar 31, 2009.

1. joegwendolyn

joegwendolyn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2009
    any advice welcomed i have just got 2 baby buff orphingtons i am really hoping they will both be hens but they say there is no way to tell, does anyone have any tips please

2. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    I am going to wait for this answer to I have 2 that are 3 weeks old

3. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    I can only tell you what my experience with MY little BOs has been...the cockeral's wing feathers will develop a little faster than the pullets. I watch for the boy's second row of wing feathers that begin developing before the girls ever start and usually I can tell this by the time they are about 5 days old..or so. But, with you only having 2 it would be hard to compare against others. Also, your line of birds MAY not necessarily do this...so don't hold me to this!

Beware...this does not apply to every breed so you guys don't get any funny ideas (but I've heard the same from Delawares)! [​IMG]

4. joegwendolyn

Mar 26, 2009
    mine have already got wing feathers so i dont think i will be able to tell with that but thanks anyway it was worth a try, anyone else found any good ways of telling the difference please let me know

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Where did you get them? Did you buy them as chicks or hatch them?

6. vortec

vortec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    It becomes obvious at 7 weeks if you can wait that long. It was still a mystery at 6 weeks with my straight run BOs but when they hit 7 weeks, the waddles formed, and the comb increased a lot. Definitely roosters. before that point, I couldn't tell anything

vortec

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    my BO's I have 2-6 day olds-I can tell for sure right now-1 roo-which I will use to replace his father.. and 1 pullet- yeah not only that but my roo has a big comb for a little guy!

8. joegwendolyn

Mar 26, 2009
    thanks,
    i got them as chicks 3 days ago, the man i got them of said he would give me what i think is 2 hens but he couldnt be definate, it sounds like i will have to wait till there 7 weeks then thanks

9. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    My one baby male BO was later than the girls in developing wing and tail feathers. But his comb got darker pink faster than the girls.

10. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Amen to Buff Hooligan's post. That's been my experience, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by