is there ANY way, ANY WAY

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by XilverAngel, Sep 17, 2011.

1. XilverAngel

XilverAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    to make a rooster stop crowing but still be able to breed with the hens? I know caponizing is a process but wouldn't you just end up with a hen that doesnt lay then? [​IMG]

2. XilverAngel

Jun 28, 2009
    sorry, i think im in the wrong category. any idea where my question would go under? [​IMG]

3. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    managing my flock? [​IMG]

4. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    There is a process for dogs that vets can do called debarking. The dog still thinks it is barking, but it is really quiet . Don't know if you could find a vet to do it on a rooster, or what it might cost.

5. XilverAngel

Jun 28, 2009
    k, thx!

6. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    Nope. Sorry, there just isnt any way to stop them completely. Some people keep them in a dark coop till later in the day, but they will still crow during the day. And yes, caponizing will leave your roo infertile and unable to inseminate hens since it involves removing the testicles.

Sorry.

7. Dewsetter

Dewsetter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Liverpool, England
    Not sure what category it should be under but the answer to your question is no anyway. The only way around it is to ensure he is in complete darkness during daylight hours which doesn't seem very ethical and I presume this would have a large impact on his fertility and inclination to mate anyway as they do their mating during daylight hours. Maybe somebody else may have some practical ideas?

8. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    Quote:Dont think that will work since it is my understanding that roosters do NOT, in fact, have actual vocal chords, but instead the noise is made by them expelling air through a very constricted normal airway. Remove the airway, you remove their abiltiy to breathe.

9. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    Caponizing doesn't stop crowing either. Especially if he's already mature.

10. pontoosuc

pontoosuc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Richmond, MA
    I don't know if caponizing would stop the crowing! It would probably stop the rooster from being interested in the hens
    and that is what you want.

I guess "de-crowing" is what you are looking for, but sorry don't know if that is done. It's not at my veterinary hospital.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by