is there any way i can make sure my chicks get tame...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by redhen, May 26, 2008.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i hold them a little(not to much..i dont want to stress them)..i put feed inmy hand and put it in the cage..they all come over to me and peck out of my hand(some a little to roughly!)..and my reds(not sure now if they are RIR's or not), jump on my hand and check me out.even try to fly up to me..(i love them!), but a few are really skittish..are there any methods to tame them a bit more?...Thanks, Wendy

2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    The more you handle them the less fllighty they should be, I have leghorns that will come right up to me, and they are spose to be flighty in general, but they were held, and hand fed from day one.

3. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    my americanas seem more skittish than my rirand maybe a little more agressive, anyone agree? I have one rir that I think is a roo that comes right over when I walk up to them. Someone mentioned that they like rubbed under their beaks and it seems to help.

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  4. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    The more that you handle them the more use to you they will be. I open the door to the coop or the brooder and they all come running to see what treats I have to to climb up my arms and cuddle.

5. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    what are good treats for them?...and when can i start giving them treats?..they are abouta week old now... thanks, Wendy

6. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    I would wait until at least 8 weeks, we give ours grapes, yogurt, watermelon, bread pieces, cracked corn, corn on the cob, lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes.
    You can start giving grit for their crops as well and when they are a little older oyster shells for protein

7. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Mine will follow me anywhere for a handful of oat meal. I gave them corn on the cob and it layed in the run for a few days till they got up enough nerve to peck at it. I have tried many of the things mentioned above but the oat meal makes the biggest hit. John

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  8. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    hi..thanks for answering my question....so at eight weeks i can start with treats...and for the oatmeal...is it the old fashioned uncooked stuff..dry?..just give them the oats...or should it be cooked hot oatmeal?...silly question, i know..but i just want to make sure..so i dont feed them anything that can impact the crop..Thanks!..Wendy(dummy with alot of questions!)..;o)

9. ronshoney

ronshoney Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Algonac, Michigan
    I have fed mine peas and little pieces of bread they have a cup of sand from by our pond that they use. I have also fed them some of the ducks concoction of hot multigrain cereal and mashed banana on cold damp days. I only give them a taste though compared to what the ducks eat! They are pigs!

10. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    [​IMG]

I just buy the old fashioned kind and give it just as it comes from the box. They do free range and have access to grit plus I through some on the run floor from time to time just in case. I have never had a problem. I never give more than a cup for 8 birds. There feed consumption has dropped to just about 1/2 since they free range. They chase the lawn mower around for fresh cut grass clippings and the bugs I chase up. They are 15 weeks this week. John

Last edited: May 27, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by