Is there any way this BLRW is a girl?

Sphinx

Crowing
13 Years
May 10, 2010
Utah
I hatched 5 blue laced red wyandottes almost 8 weeks ago. Of the five, I only have one definite girl. Three are definitely boys. Then there's the last one.

If willpower can make that chick be a pullet, it'll work on this one. It's comb/wattles aren't nearly as big as its' brothers, but it's definitely larger than my definite girl.

(I can definitely tell the one on the left is a cockerel. It's the one on the right that I've got a great amount of denial going on)

Side shot of bird:

Top(ish) shot:

This is the one I feel confident is a girl (sorry, it's not a great picture)

I also have this group shot, one of the BLRW has only got his beak in it (niiiiice), and there's two lavender ameraucanas in it. They're the same age as the rest of the group. My suspected roo is on the brown tote (on the right, kind of laying down). The girl is on the far right on the ground.

In my experience, BLRW get red combs pretty early. Mine started turning pink right as they finished feathering. I thought for sure all of them were male. Every one of them turned out to be girls. Here is a shot of Jasmine, and one of Candi, I believe maybe slightly older than your girls (I do not remember how old they were...but judging by wattle development, I am going to go with slightly older or right around the same age as yours).

These aren't super recent shots, but you can definately tell they are both girls now.

Anyway, in my experience, I have found that I have a lot of difficulty sexing BLRWs...sounds like I need to get some more to augment my experience
lol.png
Im not saying yours isn't a boy, Im just saying there is a good possibility that it is a girl lol I hope that was helpful
roll.png

...and just cause I like to share pictures...

WIDE LOAD!

Big, beautiful, broody

Last edited:
At 8 weeks...I think they are all boys based on those photos. If you can get closer shots, that might help-but they have thick legs and the pattern of their feathers is more rooish.

In my experience, BLRW get red combs pretty early. Mine started turning pink right as they finished feathering. I thought for sure all of them were male. Every one of them turned out to be girls. Here is a shot of Jasmine, and one of Candi, I believe maybe slightly older than your girls (I do not remember how old they were...but judging by wattle development, I am going to go with slightly older or right around the same age as yours).

These aren't super recent shots, but you can definately tell they are both girls now.

Anyway, in my experience, I have found that I have a lot of difficulty sexing BLRWs...sounds like I need to get some more to augment my experience
lol.png
Im not saying yours isn't a boy, Im just saying there is a good possibility that it is a girl lol I hope that was helpful
roll.png

Wow, those pictures are AMAZING. I have to admit I never would've guessed either of your girls were girls by their younger pictures. I definitely will have to keep my BLRW until they start crowing or laying an egg. Honestly, it's not a big deal to keep them around. I figure my space/flock isn't big enough for more than one roo, so I have to watch that nobody tries to hurt anyone else.

Does anyone else have pictures that could help? Regardless, I will update this thread when I know for sure.

yeah, I was really bummed out the whole time I had them till I walked out to the coop one day and realized they looked very much like hens
roll.png
please keep us updated! I would really like to see how your birds progress. They seem much higher quality than my hatchery birds. By the way, my second batch of BLRW also looked to me like they would all be boys at first. The chick pictured turned into the juvie below. You can see that they weren't even fully feathered and their combs were already turning red! And check out their roo-like stance....every picture I took of them looked like roos. Don't give up yet...you may get a pleasant suprise.

The other splash looked like this:

She ended up being absolutely beautiful! I almost kept her, but I just had too many birds, and I was more attached to my two original BLRW. Here she is right before she went to her new home

(sorry about the poor picture quality...it was a cell phone shot)

So anyway, I am hoping at least some of your BLRW turn out to be girls...good luck! And like I said, I just thing that BLRW tend to be gender ambiguous when they are young...

Last edited:
I got my birds from a local breeder- I bought 7 eggs at $1 each. Five hatched (one was infertile and the last died about 7 days in). I'm pleased with their coloring so far.

Cobalt, the one I'm hoping is a girl (but suspect isn't) is such a beautiful dark color. What concerns me along with the wattles is that ring of feathers around the back of the neck. It doesn't seem to be a very pulletish thing.

I honestly think she is a pullet!
old.gif

Ive had some BLRW's before and they are lovely. Mine where all splash, dont know how i ended up with a whole hatch of splash but anyway, that darker color is nice. I have 18 BLRW (foley line) Blue cochin, and Lavender Orpington in the bator right now, i hope almost all of the blrw's hatch, they are so awesome! my favorite so far of the breeds.

Good luck~ dont get rid of her until you know for sure!

Back
Top Bottom