is there any way to cut feed costs 100%. ?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Ahmed Hussein, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Ahmed Hussein

Ahmed Hussein New Egg

Oct 27, 2016
    i think water plants growing very fast and it can be unlimited source to feed chickens
    azolla , duckweed and much more can help us ..
    so is there any one can help me to cut feed costs 100%

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

No. A balanced commercially mixed ration should constitute 90% of a chicken's diet at all times. Things like greens, scraps, treats, etc. should not exceed 10% of the diet. Chickens will cost money to feed in any scenario and if there is no money being spent on actual feed, you're going to have very sickly birds who rarely lay.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  3. Ahmed Hussein

Ahmed Hussein New Egg

Oct 27, 2016
    Why greens should not exceed 10% ?
    Thanks in advance :)

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi again, Ahmed. In your new members introduction, I remember that you mentioned wanting to try and reduce the costs of chicken so that it would be more affordable to a greater number of people. The first thing that springs to mind would be to farm broiler chickens, and they, for sure, require proprietary chicken feed. Guess another possibility would be to hatch dual purpose chickens (those that can be used for both meat and egg production) and sell chicks at the village level. Either way, for healthy birds, proper chicken feeds are necessary. I'm sure that chickens are very common in the rural areas in Egypt (as everywhere that i have worked, in Africa) but they are light in weight and do not lay well - feed plays a huge part in this.

2 people like this.
  5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Because chickens aren't vegetarians. They are omnivorous. And they require a delicate balance of nutrients for optimum growth, development, and production. Too many greens can upset that balance, resulting in nutrient deficiencies. This can lead to a host of deformities and behavioral issues.

6. Newmamabear

Newmamabear Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2016
    Alberta
    I am subscribing Ahmed. I too believe in an end goal of raising happy healthy birds in a sustainable way, for the purpose of providing affordable meat for my family. I have not found a way to be 100% free but I do ferment my feed and I believe that helps with not just feed costs, but health costs as well. I've never lost a bird to sickness yet and I believe the amount of food wasted is near 0%. What kinds of feed is available in Egypt? Would you be able to raise some of your own protein like meal worms or beetle larvae or maybe crickets?

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    If you have access to quality table fare, perhaps the food returned to the kitchen from a restaurant. (The feed scraps that would be sent to the dumpster). You might look at Vermont compost. This company has made a huge business from taking all matter of compostable material, including material sent by the truck load from local restaurants. They create mountains of compost, using power equipment. They have flocks of chickens that work the compost, and turn a tidy profit from the sale of eggs and compost. Generally speaking, for the average back yard gardener, IMO, it's not possible to have a healthy flock that gives you plenty of eggs and meat without inputting some feed. There are feral flocks throughout the world in temperate regions, but I question how much food is gathered from them.

8. Lynnski

Lynnski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2016
    Weymouth, MA
    Hi Ahmed - I, too, am always interested in a more self-sustained way of life. Although our land is not big enough to create a self sustaining agricultural ecosystem, we love to learn different ways to rely on ourselves and help others. Your desire to help others is admirable and i wish you luck on your journey! You have already gotten some great advice here, everyone is so helpful, take what fits and leave the rest!

That said, i LOVE this guy Justin Rhodes. He has a permaculture vlog i love to listen to:
    https://soundcloud.com/permaculturevoices/sets/ask-voices-with-justin-rhodes

He has a youtube channel as well and in it, a video describing how he feeds his chickens almost for free. There is a cost (because like the others have described its important to keep their diet balanced) but he has worked it out that he spends the least amount by getting bulk wheat, corn, peas, oats and fish meal. What little he spends, he more than covers when selling the eggs:

There may be things where you live that you might be able to substitute from his menu.... for instance, a friend of mine makes beer and his spent grain is a wonderful source of protein and is free!

For me, having only 4 chickens, the organic, ready-mixed blend is perfect.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by