Is there any way to encourage broody ness

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Panhanle RIR, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Panhanle RIR

Panhanle RIR Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Texas County, Oklahoma
    I have 13 eggs from my Mille FLuer D'uccle/Leghorn hen and roo and i want either my Naked Necks or my Wyandotte hen to sit they are both supposed to be broody breeds but nothing since may (my wyandotte went broody in may)

2. Panhanle RIR

Panhanle RIR Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Texas County, Oklahoma
    [​IMG] anyone

3. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    I wondered the same thing- anyone?? From what I've read before- I believe it is hormone driven- so is there something we can do to "encourage" the hormone that creates broodiness?

4. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
  5. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    Thanks Cityclucks- [​IMG] thats a great thread!

6. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Try leaving the eggs in the nest boxes for a few days. No more than a week though. The instinct of a hen is to lay a full clutch, then brood. So leaving the eggs in the nest may encourage her.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:In my experience, this doesn't work. It may help it along if you already have a girl in the mood, but I've had up to 30 eggs pile up in 4 boxes several times with nobody going broody. (we were out of town, so the eggs didn't get collected while we were gone)

8. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:In my experience, this doesn't work. It may help it along if you already have a girl in the mood, but I've had up to 30 eggs pile up in 4 boxes several times with nobody going broody. (we were out of town, so the eggs didn't get collected while we were gone)

I guess the only reason it worked for me was because all my broody birds have been Silkies [​IMG]

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop

I guess the only reason it worked for me was because all my broody birds have been Silkies [​IMG]

Ah well, you said the magic word..................Silkie. [​IMG] I don't think it's too difficult to get them to go broody. [​IMG]

10. Urbanfarmerkc

Urbanfarmerkc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Raytown, MO (BY KCMO)

It does work but the eggs have to accumulate over more than a few days. If you'll add a fake egg every day for about a week or maybe two, they will go broody if going broody is in their make up. Just FYI, leghorns have been breed NOT to go broody.

The weather also has something to do with this. If it is turning cooler only the MOST die hard hens will go broody. Otherwise, not a chance.

Dave

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by