Is there any way to get the humidity down in an incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sweeterdeeter42, May 11, 2011.

1. sweeterdeeter42

sweeterdeeter42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    I have an empty incubator running and ready for lockdown of a few eggs that are due at a different time than the others. There is already NO water in the incubator and my humidity has been 80% to 95%!!!! Lockdown is tomorrow. Is there a way I can get it down? Put a bowl of uncooked rice in it? It is an LG. Both plugs are out and the temp. is stable. I have had no problem keeping the humidity at 55 last hatch. The house is about 80% because it was storming out. And there is no way for me to put a dehumidifier in the room.

2. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    I have seen suggestions of dry rice and baking soda... [​IMG]

3. bds613

bds613 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2010
    Texas
    dry rice sounds like a good idea to me...that's what they say to use if you get your cell phone wet

4. sweeterdeeter42

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    My only concern with dry rice is will it suck the moisture out of the egg as it hatches and shrink wrap the chicks?

5. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Hmm.. yeah, it might... Put it in there and see what the humidity drops to... I doubt it has that much power honestly.. If it can make the humidity below 45, I would say take it out... [​IMG]

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    I would calibrate the hygrometer first and ,make sure it is working properly

7. sweeterdeeter42

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:Already did and it is only off +2.

8. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    my hova jumps like that as soon as I get a pip before I had a fan I ran a coupla hatches just barely warmer but if you are as humid as you are your LG is probably not going to be able to overcome the ambient RH you might try putting your plugs back in and shut the air flow down a little my hova bator I can change RH a little by playing with the plugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by