Is there any way to sex EEs at birth?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Danielle29, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Danielle29

Danielle29 New Egg

Feb 22, 2014
    Hi everyone, I'm possibly going to get a couple EE chicks and would like to know if there are any tell-tall signs that the chicks are male of female. Thanks!

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Technically...no. Not at birth. Not for EE's.

However, I tried this technique last time at the feed store and did end up with 2 female EE's. I would obviously have to repeat this experiment over many times before I could say how accurate it is though...so you can try it and post how you did to see if it might work.

For wild type chicks (those that have a chipmunk coloring)...choose chicks with a strong chipmunk pattern.

Those that have a stripe that goes from the top of their head, down the neck, all the way down the back, with no breaks are generally your girls. Males have a break between the head and back...ie a head spot, nothing on the neck, then the stripe again on the back.

Girls will also have back stripes made up of 3 colors on their backs...example, main brown stripe with thin white line around thin black line. Males have only two colors on their back stripes.

I also looked for the smallest flattest yellow combs (always good to do for girls) AND I looked for a broader base as I wanted the pea comb not the single comb...you have a much greater chance of getting blue/green eggs if the EE has a pea comb...the blue gene is closely connected to the pea comb gene on the dna strand.

I got my idea of using wild type coloring for males/female sexing from the article I linked below.

Hopefully it works...or you just get lucky...remember with any method you have a 50/50 chance of being right. [​IMG]

Lady of McCamley

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/6-3/determining_sex_in_chicks/

EDITED TO ADD: my EE's are just now starting to lay...one is giving me lovely green eggs...yet to say for the second one, who is a little younger...hopefully so too. Both are pea combed.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  3. KieksterChicken

KieksterChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Florida
    I had some luck picking out 2 Easter Egger pullet chicks by feather sexing them. I'm thinking it was more luck than anything. To get a chick you can sex by wing feathers they cross a female from a slow-feathering breed with a male from a fast-feathering breed. The sex of the chicks produced from this cross can be determined during the first 48 hours after hatching by looking at the primary and secondary feathers located on the chick's wings. When you spread out the wing the primary feathers will be noticeably longer than the secondary feathers on a pullet, they will look staggered..kind of like this" IiIiIiI" (just ignore the dots lol). for a roo, the primary and secondary feathers are the same length, kind of like this "IIIIIII". Maybe if a blue egg laying breed like an Ameaucana or Araucana is crossed with a breed that is bred to produce chicks that can be sexed by wing feathers you could use that method accurately? It has a lot to do with genetics which I don't know much about. Since I have only used this method one time on 2 EE chicks and guessed pullet correctly and haven't had the opportunity to test it further on any more EE chicks I give the method only a 50/50 chance of being reliable on EE chicks..lol! Sorry. Maybe someone who has had more experience with the method on EE's could clarify this?

4. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

The most accurate way is to wait till they are about 12 weeks old [​IMG]

5. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    No, but you can usually sex them pretty easily at 8 weeks old

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by