Is there any way to sex muscovy ducklings??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by brandy21410, Jan 26, 2017.

1. brandy21410

brandy21410 Chillin' With My Peeps

I just got these 3 muscovy ducklings and I have no idea what sex they are. I grabbed one with thicker legs and 2 with smaller legs. Is there any way to sex them??? TIA [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    So cute[​IMG] Too young to tell by sight. Continue to watch their leg/feet growth. Also, girls walk kind of pigeon toed and males stand with their legs further apart.

3. brandy21410

Okay, thank you so much, we love them they are so quiet at night, but during the day the dark one is very loud, does this have anything to do with sexing? Or maybe the beak, the bigger duckling has a bigger beak. I have never raised ducks before but have raised chickens my whole life and its so much different lol I am hoping for 1 male and 2 females but idk. The one yellow one has a big brown dot on the head and is much bigger is size so I thought maybe he is the male. I hope I diddnt get 3 males lol I have named the 2 smaller ones blueberry and pancake. Thank you for the information [​IMG]

4. brandy21410

if I do get a male can I breed him with one of the females even if they are from the same cluch?

5. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all

6. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Yes on the beak. How old are they? At about 3 weeks the drakes start to show a big difference in size. They will be longer, thicker legs, larger bill and feet. With regular ducks, the girls are nosier. I'm not sure with Muscovy. Be sure to join the https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/130753/muscovy-keepers-share-your-pics thread. You'll find lots of helpful people with way more experience than me[​IMG]

I love the names, lol. I have one that looks just like your yellow one. He was 'Stella' but is now 'Stephen.' I start with girl names because I want all girls, lol. Some folks do breed siblings. I try not to. I hope you are right and have just one drake.

1 person likes this.
  7. brandy21410

thank you so much! The forum is very informative. I think I have 2 males and 1 female [​IMG] oh well I love them none the less. Lol [​IMG]

8. brandy21410

I forgot to ask the lady when they hatched exacally, but they are about a week old.

9. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all

10. brandy21410

okay thank u. That way if it happens once I know the ducklings will b ok. I will prolly have to get more females later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by