Is there any way to shorten molt time?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chickn chick 46, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Chickn chick 46

Chickn chick 46 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2009
    My older hens, 4-5 years old, will start to molt end of Sept into Oct with no egg production till March. Other than adding a light to the coop mid to late winter (because I do beleive in giving them a rest period from egg laying) is there any dietary way of kicking the egg production into gear earlier?

For the record I have been reading the threads about the sunflower seeds etc, will this type of diet help or is it strickly a light issue?

Thanks! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    over the weekend and old-timer told me to feed them turkey feed? Don't know if it works, but that's what he said.

3. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    I put some black oil sunflower seeds and oats into their feed....seems to work for me. [​IMG]

4. Chickn chick 46

May 22, 2009
    Quote:ok this maybe a stupid question, but would quaker oats from the grocery store work?? [​IMG]

I am going to get some black oil sunflower seed

I use a layer feed thats for all kinds of birds, its a layer feed, but not sure if I can get turkey feed.

thx [​IMG]

any other input would be great!

5. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    Sure Quaker Oats would work -- but they are way more expensive. I feed rolled oats to my little ones for treats, and occasionally to the big ones.

6. princess araucana

princess araucana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Rhode Island
    what about the whole catfood to hens in molt stuff? I think mine is starting her first and I thought I remember hearing that for extra protein??

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Feathers like eggs require high protein to create. Think of the high protein foods - eggs, cheese, yogurt, meat, black oil sunflower seeds and cat food.

8. Chickn chick 46

May 22, 2009
    So, high protein treats, such as cat food, BOSS, eggs should be given during molt a few times a week?? I was going to mix up my own concoction, minus the eggs.

I just gave them left over scrambled eggs and they loved them.

9. jafo

jafo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Leftover scrambled eggs, I'm coming to your house!

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yep, I give them one or the other each day; eggs one day, cat food the next, yogurt several times a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by