is there any way to wrap a ducks foot after bumblefoot treatment?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AHappychick, May 16, 2010.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I have a runner with early stages and one bigger (with plug) bumblefoot areas. I dont handle the hardly ever and they are very skittish. I have it in a clean cage but would like to treat it by lancing, and packing in bacitracin after a good bath. I would love to be able to wrap it up and return to the flock. is that psooible and if so how? I have vet wrap but it falls off. I can keep the bird inside for a day or 2 but after that it will have to be returned with the others (well I really would like to anyway) , as it is I will have to bring in a friend for comfort.

has anyone tried that fake skin stuff? would that work?

I wont use any antibiotics that are not an ointment as I eat the eggs and raise them organically. The duck is not limping but it had gotten stuck and when I was helping it I took the opportunity to give it a good look over and saw the bumblefoot.

I would think that ducks must get this all the time in the wild, I wonder what they do about it?

If I kept it inside for 24 hours would that be enough if I cant succesfully wrap it?

please ignor my bad spelling.

Oh I read about the fish chemical stuff and I am hesident to use it with the organic thing going on. if anyone has any info on whether it would effect the bird or its eggs I would love to know.

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Just want to bump this up for you

3. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Thanks I appreciate it. I have been doing lost of searching but cant come up with much.

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

5. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:This is JUST what I needed. IMP thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by