Is there any way you can get your birds to lay more?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CochinLover1, Feb 2, 2016.

1. CochinLover1

CochinLover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    I have some breeds that don't lay a lot of eggs. I was wondering, is there anything I could add to their diet that would encourage their bodies to lay more?

2. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

What breeds do you have? Is it just because of decreased sunlight right now or have you had them for a long time and you are talking about year round laying? Some breeds are prolific layers and have had that bred into them, others are just average layers because they are intended to be dual purpose, for meat and eggs. A chicken that is a laying machine just doesn't make a good table bird, they become stew birds.

3. Gossie

Gossie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2015
    My chickens were laying an average of 1 egg every 2 weeks this winter and so I tried putting a light in the coop to give them some more light because I heard that chickens need at least 16 hours of light to lay an egg. I don't know if there is anything you can use food-wise to increase egg production.

4. CochinLover1

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    Ok, thank you for your feedback.

5. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

6. CochinLover1

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
  7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Take the sweaters off them, they are ticked off at you..lol!

Light in winter can help, especially if it's applied correctly, but not always.

That 'article' says to add scratch for more protein...that's not accurate, most scratch mixes are significantly lower in protein than a balanced chicken ration..
    You need to look at all foods given and their protein contents to balance overall nutrients.

Seriously if you want to figure it out, here are some things to investigate:
    What exactly are you feeding?
    What breeds, and their ages, do you have?
    How big is your coop (feet by feet) and how many birds total?
    How do you keep their water liquid?
    Do they free range?

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Other suggestions: switch to a breed that is known for being productive. Check out Henderson's chicken breeds chart. Start fermenting their feed. Give them a light, but that may be a waste of time, as winter is almost over. But you could do that next year. Switch them to Multi-flock and provide oyster shell on the side. Be sure you are practicing flock rotation: remove a few of the older ones, and add a few chicks each year.

9. CochinLover1

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    I have a lot of different breeds. I have a large coop, they are all free range, they have heated waters in the winter so it's always liquid. I feed them non GMO grain that we get from a local farmer.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by