Is there any way?!?!??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TweetyNPetey, Feb 6, 2013.

1. TweetyNPetey

TweetyNPetey Chillin' With My Peeps

I am getting in a shipment of Leghorn eggs around Saturday the 9th, and I was wondering; Is there any way AT ALL to increase female hatch rates in incubation? I can't get rid of any more roos, because I bond with them so easily.

Is there any way to tell if the egg is going to hatch into a male or female? Or at least increase the chance? I heard that if the temp is kept at 0.5 degrees lower, it will hatch into a female, and if it is 0,5 degrees higher, it will hatch into a male. But I personally don't think this is true.

I really can't get rid of any more roos, I love them so much!

2. Colourful

Colourful Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2013
    Australia, NSW
    I'm real sorry to be the bearer of awful news, but you kinda need to get rid of them anyway...

If your chicks come together, chances are they're related. Then if you hatch the eggs from your inbred chickens, and then inbreed some more... Well, that's bad for the breed and the chicks. Plus, you really do need a seriously high ratio of hens to roosters anyway. I used to have 4 roosters with my 6 hens... It took me less than a week to acknowledge that 3 had to go. They ripped the poor hens apart. [​IMG] It's horrible to see and I really hope you don't have to go through it. And I'm sorry to add this, but if the temp usually made a difference, it would be common knowledge. The poultry industry wouldn't be killing thousands of male chicks daily.

Again, I'm sure you didn't want to hear this, but this is my 2 cents. I really hope I haven't offended you.

3. TweetyNPetey

No, it's fine. I had to get rid of 4 baby roosters before.

4. Colourful

Jan 30, 2013
    Australia, NSW
    I feel your pain. [​IMG]

5. TweetyNPetey

I will just have to hope that most are pullets.

6. lclough1998

lclough1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

maybe next time just buy sexed chicks, I have never ordered from a hatchery but I think its possible. So sorry, I love my roos too and I try really hard to find good homes that don't include the dinner table....ughh. Roos are so sweet when they are young, they seem more curious and unafraid of the hand that feeds them. Just go for a great life and one bad day for you and hopefully a whole flock for your little buddy to go to.

7. lclough1998

lclough1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

and as soon as you can tell the difference, start using craigslist and posting at feed stores what you have to try to find a good home for them

8. TweetyNPetey

Thank you. But I don't usually buy chicks, I buy eggs. That is why I posted this.

Thank you both for your support.

9. Colourful

Jan 30, 2013
    Australia, NSW
    I always buy eggs too. It makes the chance of bringing home a chook disease so much less likely. Maybe what you can do is start a thread showing you raising the little roos with love and care and then advertise to sell them on the site. There are 170,000+ members here, maybe you can find a few good people in your area who you know will take care of them.

10. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Any unwanted roosters we get go into the meat bird pen to be grown into meat birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by