Is there anyone on here that raises parakeets?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by Lucysmom002, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I've had Tweety (male) and Petie(female) for about 3 years (??). Suddenly Petie started shredding paper and yep, she laid an egg. Well we got them a nest box. (Why? I don't know) I didn't want to raise parakeets. Anyway...
    She laid 5 eggs. We gave her the box with some pine shavings in it. Tweety went and threw all the eggs and the shavings out of the box. They were broken and cracked. I threw them away and was relieved. I really don't want babies. Well she laid 6 more eggs.
    Somewhere around Sept. 2, one of them hatched, then another hatched a couple days later... well long story short I have 4 babies in there as far as I know. Both parents are feeding and sitting on them. The oldest baby is starting to get feathers.

I wanted to take away a few of the eggs and let them raise the few babies but now they are so far along I will feel bad??

Is there anything I need to know? I've been reading online of course.

2. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011
    Boxes get dirty quickly so cleaning will help and bedding will prevent splayed legs. Other then that they should do the rest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by