Is there anyone you didn't feel comfortable selling to?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by spookyevilone, Feb 9, 2009.

1. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    I had a creepy experience last night. I had some people come over to buy some button quail and wound up feeling like I was in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, dealing with Veruca Salt. Their 11 yr old daughter, who was totally out of control, saw the Coturnix and wanted them. Right now, I only have one Coturnix chick and it's spoken for.

The girl kept pointing to my Italian breeding pair and screaming at the top of her lungs, "I want THOSE! GET ME THOSE!" over and over and over. Her father asked how much. I said they weren't for sale, they were my pets and breeding stock. The girl screamed and lunged at me, and if her parents hadn't grabbed her, would have hit me. (And that would have been bad, because I react very, very badly to being hit, child or not.) Her dad tried to guilt trip me - "Really, name your price. You can see how much she's in love with them. We'll give them a good home. My daughter really wants those." No, I saw a spoiled brat pitching a fit. I politely informed them that I wouldn't be selling them any birds and asked them to leave. The parents both started kicking up a fuss because, "We had a deal! You can't go back on it now! You have to sell us those button quail!" (The ones they'd originally shown up to buy.) I informed them that no money had changed hands, and that after the way their child had acted, I wasn't comfortable selling them my birds.

Their daughter screamed like she was dying, then ran into my button quail room and tried to open the cages. I went after her and ordered her to stop in my best Thundering Wrath of God voice. She burst into tears and screaming and her mother scooped her up and gave me the stinkeye while her father started to not only dress me down for yelling at his daughter, but ordering me to sell them the birds.

At that point, I had quite thoroughly had enough, and pulled out my cellphone and called the cops. The entire time, the guy's screaming, "Hang that up! Hang that phone up! You're shooting yourself in the foot! The cops will come and you'll be in trouble because we had a deal! You're going back on a deal!" He actually grabbed my phone and clicked it closed, which hung it up.

Cops showed up quickly, and the guy found out it's a federal offense to interfere with a 911 call. He was hauled out in cuffs. The wife then started screaming that she'd kill me, so they called CPS and took the daughter away and arrested the wife too.

So.. yeah. Creepy, creepy experience. Anyone else have bad buyers? I'm still pretty shaken up over it.
    -Spooky

2. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    WOW!

That really takes the cake.

Good on you for sticking up for your birds. Yikes!!

Never had anything like that happen and hope I never do. But the possibility is why DH won't let anyone come to the house until we know them...

3. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    Quote:Yeah.. I think from now on, I'm not going to sell chicks except to the feed store. This has been just .. ugh.
    -Spooky

4. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

HOLY MOLEY ! "not feeling comfortable" is an understatement. What an awful experience. I hope you can relax after all that.No, I wouldn't sell to them either. You did right by your birds.

5. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    O-M-G!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] What a horrible experience for you! [​IMG] You absolutely did the right thing! What on earth would make them think you had to sell them anything? And why in the world would they think it's ok for their daughter to attack you and then try and open your cages?? You might want to file a restraining order against the entire family. They all sound REALLY unbalanced. Are your birds in a secure area? With locks and cameras? I have a feeling they might end up coming back to take them. Please be careful and keep an eye out for anything. I really think the restraining order is the best thing. File it against the daughter, too. She tried to assault you and break into your cages.

Please keep us updated!

Shelly

6. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    OMG! I love my animals, but dang, those people have done gone over the edge!

7. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I think a restraining order is an EXCELLENT idea!

8. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    bratty parents = bratty child.

bizarro!

9. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

OMG! Never in my.................... [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    This is what happens when parents don't discipline their children...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by