Is there anything chickens can't eat?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by farmerChef, Dec 14, 2010.

1. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    I've been feeding my chickens table scraps. and was wondering if there was anything I shouldn't feed them. You know, like dogs with chocolate and ham?

2. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

3. heathersboers

heathersboers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    I know that cornbread will kill a goat- will it swell in a chickens stomach??

4. Steak and Eggs Farm

Steak and Eggs Farm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2010
    Missouri
    We don't have a garbage disposal so all table scraps go to the dog, chickens or cows. I would say not to give them moldy food but they can digest anything.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    On the cornbread, I put a bunch of corn meal right out of the bag on some fire ant hills a while back, to see if it would kill the fire ants as I've read. The chickens scarfed up the meal in no time. If they can eat it raw, surely they can eat it cooked in bread.

I don't give them sweets, and limit anything very salty or fatty, but other than that, they get most anything around. I've read that potato peels are toxic to them, but I've also read that they won't eat them, as well as that they eat them without a problem. I don't worry about it. I figure there are a lot more poisonous things where they free range than what comes out of my kitchen.

If I don't eat it raw, though, I don't feed it raw. Sometimes it won't matter, as with oatmeal, but sometimes it will, as with dried peas and beans.

6. geeber

geeber Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    PNW
    As a parrot owner there are four things I never feed birds (to be on the safe side I dont feed this to my chickens either).

1. avocados
    2. chocolate
    3. caffeine
    4. liquor

Everything else is up for grabs.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If you've ever seen poultry who have eaten fermented fruit, you know that birds and alcohol don't mix.[​IMG]

8. sashurlow

sashurlow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    West Rutland, VT
    Sourland... do tell. What exactly happens.

9. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Very large rocks--they will consume small ones however. [​IMG]

10. potato skins.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by