Is There Anything Chickens Love More Than Hostas??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by goldtopper, Jun 5, 2011.

1. goldtopper

goldtopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    I don't really mind, but there are so many green things to eat around my place! Some of my hostas look like I ran them over with a lawmower!
    Gotta love those chik'ns...

2. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    We call 'em "chicken candy". Oddly, it doesn't hurt them to be eaten right down to the ground - they just bush back even larger next year!

Did you know hostas are edible by humans? In Japan they're raised as a delicacy.

3. tinydancer87

tinydancer87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    SE Georgia
    Scabiosa--Butterfly Pincushion Flower. My chickens will eat them up every time. Also any kind of daisy or begonia. [​IMG]

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Hostas may be chicken candy but creeping jenny is chicken crack. They even dig up the roots and eat them.

5. Marshchick

Marshchick Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    Marshfield, MA
    Our 12 chickens haven't eaten the hostas (yet) but my husband did some tranplanting of a couple hostas not too long ago. The leaves spread and drooped to the ground. The girls thought it looked like a nest and sat right in the middle! Never ate it, just sat in it.

6. SanctusPullus

SanctusPullus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Austin, Texas
    My Coop
    ...Elephant-Ears. No pachyderm wandering into our yard would last 5 minutes with both of them around our Scrappy...

7. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    ... anything I don't want them to eat. Aloe Vera is a real delicacy, I've come to learn.

8. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    The hosta nest must have been cute. I can picture my ladies doing the same thing. They are so funny and creative.

9. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    I have a huge collection of hostas. I only let them out for 20 or 30 mins right before roosting time. They get a little free range time without being uber destructive.

10. Muzzie

Muzzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Connecticut
    I also have a huge collection of Hosta the only time I have trouble with the chickens and the Hosta is in the early spring when the hosts are just poking up they will eat the tips right off down to the ground. I don't let them free range for a few weeks while the Hosta leaves are opening once open they don't bother them luckily. I do wish they would eat more bugs than they do though. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by