Is there anything I can do for my poor congested Roo?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sumatra503, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    My little serama roo is breathing a bit heavy, though not really bad. His breathing sounds raspy even when I listen to his lungs. He's so congested and I feel sorry for him. No snot, but lots of mouth breathing.

My chickens sometimes get like this in the wet cold winter around here. This roo hasn't learned how to stay dry yet.

Is there anything I can do? Like vapo rub and hot steam, but the chicken equivilant?

My chickens are like my children, so I want to care for him while he's sick.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  2. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Sounds like a typical respritory infection (CRD) but should double check conditions are not dusty and getting sufficient ventilation. Antibiotics seem to be standard practice with back yard keepers. There are a variety but it may boil down to what you can get. Durramycin, terramycin, tylan, baytril... If you want to stay away from antibiotics maybe try grapefruit seed extract, might help with a mild case of CRD.

3. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

I'm kind of battling the same thing as you right now, only my guy isn't as bad sounding. Here is a link that helps me, and hopefully it will help you too. I am currently treating my guy with the vitamin supplement that she suggests, as well as Duramycin. Not sure if that will fit the bill for your guy, though. Good luck!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=235844

Here
    is another link that someone gave to me, to help you identify commom poultry diseases. It might help too.

Common poultry diseases website:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello- I had a pullet, last fall, get that way, and I took her into my basement in a cage, and I gave her vitamins/electrolites, plus some duramayacin in her drinking water, and I ran a vicks vaporizer on her to make her more comfortable, and she turned out just fine. She was in the house appx 3 weeks.

This fall, I have just one hen with the same problem, and now she's in my chicken hospital room downstairs too. I do think the vaporizer makes them more comfortable.

Good luck to you--you could use something much stronger, like Tylan, with excellent results.

5. yomama

Quote:I should add that also have brought my roo indoors, in a large dog crate. I think it definitely helps if you can get them into a little bit of a warmer environment, not to mention, keeping him from spreading it to your other chickens. I also have a hen indoors, in another room and dog crate, for another problem. Let me tell you, my roo's crow is sooooo much louder indoors! [​IMG]

6. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    I have several friends that keep chickens. One guy told me that if they are congested give them a baby aspirin for bantams and bayer regular for full sized and rub vics vaporub on their neck. He says the aspirin takes away the inflammation and swelling of face and the vics clears their sinuses. Much like us when we have a cold. I found for resp. issues that Tylan 50 works well. good luck with the little one. I have a serama roo and he is a house pet. Watches t.v. with me in evening and even watches me on the forum curled up in my arm....

7. Resolution

Resolution Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:These upper respiratory infections show up quite alot here. There are more than two or three symptoms -the rattling is often the first symptom but sometimes it will emerge as bubbling eye or gaping for breath.
    Avoid the use of all antibiotics. There is simply no use for it. Go to the store and procure yourself some cranassure gel caps. Pour out half the contents of one gel cap ( for such a tiny bird) on some cooked cereal ( grape nuts or wheatena for example). Cut a sliver of raw ginger about the size of a lima bean ( again this for a tiny bantam you would use larger quantities for larger birds) and tuck this down into his gullet. Repeat this treatment every day. And once again people, eliminate the source of the bacteria that cause this scourge. Mycoplasma, sinusitis chroriza- all these ailments are the result of masher, pellets and crumbles.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  8. yomama

Quote:These upper respiratory infections show up quite alot here. There are more than two or three symptoms -the rattling is often the first symptom but sometimes it will emerge as bubbling eye or gaping for breath.
    Avoid the use of all antibiotics. There is simply no use for it. Go to the store and procure yourself some cranassure gel caps. Pour out half the contents of one gel cap ( for such a tiny bird) on some cooked cereal ( grape nuts or wheatena for example). Cut a sliver of raw ginger about the size of a lima bean ( again this for a tiny bantam you would use larger quantities for larger birds) and tuck this down into his gullet. Repeat this treatment every day. And once again people, eliminate the source of the bacteria that cause this scourge. Mycoplasma, sinusitis chroriza- all these ailments are the result of masher, pellets and crumbles.

That is very interesting. I feed crumbles, so of course, now I am concerned. What do you feed instead of the masher, pellets or crumbles?

9. Noelg

Noelg Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2010
    HUH???

I have a whole flock pretty much infected with some degree of snotty nose, cruddy eyes... what do the crumbles mash or pellets have to do with it?
    are you saying its in the commercial feeds?

I just went round bout purina crumbles with the nice guy at tractor supply 2 weeks ago.... the other store i was getting layena from gave me bags of food that i found mold in, at the very bottom was a hard lump with the moldy crap.
    he explained the dates and such and that NO that was not the norm and NO i shouldnt be feeding it to my birds, figured that out on my own
    needless to say i stopped buying it there and now check all my feed ...
    my thread is "whole flock infected"

i cant wait to hear this one.... if my whole flock is sick due to a bag of feed, Im gonna be sick myself!

10. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    I doubt it's my crumble since only one chicken is sick. It may be the ventilation or just the change of seasons along with the two thunder storms and like 2 inches of rain in a week.

Bringing my roo inside is out of the question, since i'm the only chicken person in my house. i've tried bringing roos in the house before. Too loud and my family hates him.

Would sitting in a hot and steamy bathroom help him?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by