1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is there anything i can do to help her?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hasdaa, Mar 14, 2016.

1. hasdaa

hasdaa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2016
    OHIO
    i got 9 new chicks from tractor supply and 1 of them is a buff orpington, and i know that they are most likely going to go broody. when she gets older, and goes broody, is there anything I can do to help her out? any suggestions?[​IMG]

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Your bird may or may not go broody - just as the other birds you have now (don't put too much stock in always/never go broody lore with regards to breeds - the generalities are there, yes, but I have seen white leghorns go broody and have three BO in my flock now who have not once in their lives even shown an interest in broodiness).

That said - when you say, "help her out" - what are you wanting to help her out with - are you asking how to help her set and hatch a brood of chicks or how to help her break the broodiness and return to production because you won't want her to hatch a brood?

3. hasdaa

Mar 14, 2016
    OHIO
    what I'm asking is anything i need to do i want to know it.[​IMG]i want to do whatever is needed to help her and her chicks. ps because I'm 100% new at this.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Well you have plenty of time to research that so stay calm. In the interim check out "Broodies," by putting that in the search box.

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    The wonderful thing about hatching with a broody is that the best thing you can do for her is to leave her alone - it is literally the easiest way to increase your flock. Where things start to go awry is when we, in our human wisdom, start to think of all the ways we can make things better as the process goes along. A broody hen needs what a non-broody hen needs - appropriate shelter, feed and water. A good broody is like a Ronco Cooker - "Set it, and forget it".

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] none of my hatchery chickens have ever gone broody, so you may never have to deal with it. If you don't want her to stay broody best way to "break" her from being broody is to put her in a wire cage with food/water but no bedding. It can take up to 2-3 days to work. Good luck to you.

8. hasdaa

Mar 14, 2016
    OHIO
    thank all of you for the helpful info, i will definitely use it in the future! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by