Is there anything I can do??????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shelley, May 20, 2008.

1. shelley

shelley Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    Oxfordshire UK
    Im on day 21 and I have no pips Im so upset [​IMG] my last lot of eggs I incubated nothing happened and I changed a few things and was feeling confident this time cos when I candled on day 18 I had 9 out of 12 eggs with a moving chick inside. I have read all about helping if the chick gets stuck but that is after they have piped is there anything I can do when they havent piped or should I give them a bit more time?

2. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    shelley - i would sit on your hands for awhile longer. 21 days is just the normal average - plenty of hatches are longer then that - especially if your temps were a bit low.
    are you seeing or hearing any signs of life? any wiggling or peeping?
    hang in there, we've all been where you are.

(p.s. - shelley is such a cute screen name! i can't believe it hadn't already been thought of! [​IMG])

3. shelley

Apr 20, 2008
    Oxfordshire UK
    Thank you for the advice, I think im seeing some movement but im not sure if its my eyes playing tricks on me, should I be seeing bigger movements?

I have my husband to thank for Shelley (my surname).

4. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Sometimes they pip on the bottom of the egg and you can't see it. Even 1/2 degree lower temp can delay the hatch. I bet you will see some action very soon. So many of our thermometers are not accurate so don't give up. Just keep the humidity up and find something absorbing to do while you wait.

5. MaryT

MaryT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2008
    Elkton
    I'm rooting for ya......Hope they hatch soon!!!!

6. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    Be patient Girl!! I was set to give up on my eggs and day 23 start pipping and hatching. I woke up on day 24 and I have 3 babies and three more pips. Give it time!

7. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Just be patient. Sounds like you did everything right. Maybe they're just a tad late. Good luck.

8. MaryT

MaryT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2008
    Elkton
    just remember if you get chicks we want to see pics

9. shelley

Apr 20, 2008
    Oxfordshire UK
    Thank you for all your encouragement its just driving me crazy as I really want this to happen [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

What day should I give up? is there a time limit on how long a chick can stay inside the egg?

10. Jubaby

Jubaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    West Texas
    I don't have any answers for you, but I just wanted to say my finger are crossed for a successful hatch.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by