1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is there anything I can slip my birds to make them chill?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by new chick 203, Aug 6, 2011.

1. new chick 203

new chick 203 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    I have one chicken trying to move up the pecking order and it's chaos out there. I have her in chicken jail for the moment, but I was wondering if there was something herbal I could use for transitioning her back in. There is an herbal product called "Rescue Remedy" made for dogs in transition that people swear takes away some anxiety. I'm desperate, she's going to kill my bantam cochin at this rate. (Maybe I should just take something myself:oops:)

Thanks.

2. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Sit back have a MUGgarita or giant frozen mudslide and let the girls sort it out! [​IMG]

3. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Quote:That's hysterical..hehe..hahaha

To the poster...

Also get yourself some oh what is it called..my neighbor swears by it..avia charge..something like that...I keep wanting to order it..but dag on it..iam a paypal goddess shopping fool..and can't find anyone who offers it with paypal..

Xoxoxxo

4. new chick 203

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    isn't Avia Charge more for feather picking due to diet issues? My birds are super healthy, Rosie is just "socially backward" ( to the point of acting like a maniac.) If I turn my back on the situation at all, that 5 lb girl is on top of Bobby who is less than 2 lbs with intent to do no good.

5. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    LOL! I would try the rescue remedy! LOL! But be prepared to lose the chicken if it has a bad reaction to it! But who knows, it's all natural so it may work and she may like it! Unfortunatly this is what they do, they are animals....Sooo....GOOD LUCK! Let us know what you do and what happens! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. mrkpero

mrkpero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    I added 2 chickens since spring and this week was finally peaceful. At least so far! Sometimes it just takes time. I would go for the margarita-and make it a jumbo:)! Good luck.

7. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Chickens have to do what chickens have to do. It will take some time, usually a week or so but all will be right soon.

8. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Quote:Here's what my neighbor says.. That it did indeed help with the pecking issues.. That certain defencies may cause attitude so to speak..same with wanting the feathers, as in sometimes the pecking is more like trying to pull the feathers to eat them, due to deficiencies..etc,

But I do beleive they have to work it out etc... The stuff I mentioned doesn't hurt..so why not try it? Who knows..right? So maybe u could test the theory??

I had some really mean hens..I mean..just really mean, sometimes,,u find the aggressors and remove them for a little while and then bring them back in, they then are lower on the totem pole etc.. Worked for me once, another time I did it twice.. Second time I took the most aggressive hen, who was the true cause, and she was malicious..pure malicious, kept her out 3 weeks.. Then when she was placed back in she was never as aggressive because another hen became top queen and was never as mean as that one was. Another time I sent 2 to live with someone else and they just really fit better in that herd.

I say the margarita.. One for u and one for them..may help too..lol..lol...
    Xoxox

9. new chick 203

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    Well, I've tried gin and tonics, but it's only slightly less horrific. Maybe tonight I'll try the G&T for me and the rescue remedy for Rosie and I'll let everyone know if I see a change.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by