Is there anything my chicken's SHOULDN'T have?

char259

Chirping
8 Years
May 13, 2011
Waynesboro
For instance - you shouldn't give dogs chocolate.

I'm enjoying trying different things to give my chickens - what the like and don't like - but I'm wondering is there is anything they shouldn't have.

Thanks!

Rhubard, chocolate, caffeine, potato peels (uncooked), there is also a listing on the learning center that you can check out that will assist you in your adventures with treats.

No avocados (I think it's just the skin and pit that are bad, but I just don't give them anything avocado), uncooked potatoe skins (especially if green) and uncooked rice.

Check the list here on BYC. I think it's in the FAQ section. It has a great list.

When I was a boy, we use a farming practice we called "mowing down". We would plant 20 or so acres to corn to be mowed down. When it was mature we would let the steers out to mow it down. They would break the corn down, eat the leaves and ears, then we would let the hogs out, the hogs would eat whatever corn was left and eat the steer manure which still had a lot of undigested corn in it, then we would let the chickens out, the chickens would eat the corn from the hog manure.

Chickens are psychologically able to digest most forms of food that other farm animals cannot. They can even metabolize fat. What I am trying to say is that chickens were revered as the dirtiest garbage disposal on the farm beneath all others including all other poultry. But they are smart enough to know when they don't like the taste of something. We always had a patch of rhubarb...nary a chicken to have nibbled it. We threw coffee grounds into the compost, never seemed to bother them! Fermented pickles, no problem! A chicken is a stupid creature, but usually smart enough to know what is bad for them.

Chickens as pets and giving chicken treats, or even caring a whit as to what might be bad for chickens is just a modern phenomenon...and we raised thousands of them. Grandma made it through the depression by selling a dozen eggs for 5 cents. Good old chickens.

Last edited:
Also, unless you want eggs that taste strongly of this, don't feed them onions or garlic!!
sickbyc.gif

Chickens as pets and giving chicken treats, or even caring a whit as to what might be bad for chickens is just a modern phenomenon...and we raised thousands of them. Grandma made it through the depression by selling a dozen eggs for 5 cents. Good old chickens.

AMEN! My viewpoint exactly!​

my little flockers, tell me what they like or dont. everyone loves rice, most like yogurt but one or two. surprising not everyone liked strqawberries. my wht leghorns went nuts for them but my barred rocks didnt like it at all.
blessed be )O(
pink

Back
Top Bottom