Is there anything that I shouldn't feed my chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tiny529, Jun 24, 2011.

1. tiny529

tiny529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Besides the obvious chocolate, onions, garlic, avocado, etc...

Mine are still so young (5 days?) that I'm only giving them medicated starter (24/7) and half a hard boiled egg (I let them eat until the frenzy has subsided, then I remove it) daily. I figure when they are about 2 weeks old, I'll give them a little something else... Spring mix? Carrot shavings? I'm not sure... But I want to make sure that I don't give them anything that will hurt them. Any suggestions on both what to give them as a little treat and what not to?

Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    I've fed mine Chickweed since about week 4, they also have sand available for grit. Now they're eating eveything green in the yard, grass, dandilions, clover ect.
    They also LOVE watermelon, give it to them cold on a hot day. Cottage Cheese with strawberry pieces was a feeding frenzy, just set it down and get out of the area, they go nuts over it. [​IMG]

3. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
  4. tiny529

Mar 28, 2011
    Thanks! I guess I was more wondering if there is anything that I should avoid while they are still chicks. I wasn't sure if they would get the runs from things that the adults could handle. I don't want any clogged up bottoms! [​IMG]

5. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    I would avoid any grains such as in scratch until they have some grit in their little craws. After that, almost anything in your yard can (and will be) eaten.

Be sure and don't pass out in a chicken coop.

[​IMG]

6. tiny529

Mar 28, 2011
    [​IMG]

I'm looking forward to giving them more treats. They go nuts over their hard-boiled egg. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by