is there anything wrong with using corrugated tin for a roof?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by srfjeld, Sep 29, 2011.

1. srfjeld

srfjeld Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    We used it on their hen house and now we are thinking it might be the cheapest material to use for their run. We had wanted to use the corrugated plastic stuff but we stupidly built their home under a pear tree and those pears would take the roof out in no time.

2. Crazy4mypeeps

Crazy4mypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Nebraska
    That's what we plan on using over our run too. I'm going to paint it white, or silver to reflect in the summer time to keep the heat out of the run. Definitely more sturdy than the plastic, so I think you made the right choice.

3. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nope, I think it will work great! Lots of people use metal roofs! You just need good venting at the top, and you're good. [​IMG]

4. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    srfjeld, Corrugated metal is in my opinion the only way to go. For coverage per sq. ft. vs. cost compared to any other long lasting roofing material it can't be beat. Nothing compares. Just be sure you have some pitch to it for your rainy weather(been to Portland) and snow load. Otherwise, go for it. You won't be sorry. Good luck
    Erik

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    It is what I have...works great!

6. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Oh, Forgot to ask.....whick Portland, Oregon or Maine. Been to both......lovely cities. Great bunch of fireman came down after Katrina to help our community and got to be friends with many of them. Some are raising chickens as well.
    Erik

7. srfjeld

srfjeld Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    Thanks, everyone! Corrugated metal roof it is! Weekend project. We have a pitch on their run so all we need to do now is get the metal and the flashing and we are ready to go.

Erik, I am in Portland, Oregon... the rain is on its way! [​IMG]

8. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    That's what we use! It's great for shedding snow [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    [​IMG]
    I used metal, and it works great, just made sure I moved it to a shady spot so it wouldn't get too hot in the summer!!!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  10. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

We use it too, can't be beat.

krcote: Very nice run, happy chickens I'm sure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by