Is there anyway to tell Sex of 3 week olds? (details included.)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lilmama, Jul 22, 2011.

1. lilmama

lilmama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Hello:
    I'm sure there has been many a post about this and if there is a link you can send me to that would be just fine!

I have 6 3-week old chicks that I am not even sure the breed of since they were hatched from fertile eggs I put under my broody.

2 look like reddish golden rumpless Arucana's One looks the same but has a tail.
    3 others are black of which 2 have a white spot on the head which I read in a chicken rearing book is the sure sign of a roo that is a Barred Rock/New Hampshire mix. The other is all black with a yellow spot underneath.

I am giving three away to people who don't care if they are roo's, but I for sure want 3 hens for myself. Thus, would like to know the sex.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  2. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    I'm sorry but at 3 weeks old and not knowing the breeds and no pics, I can't help...

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    pics?

4. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    It is possible the black ones with white spots on their heads could be sex linked roos but they need to be a cross of a non barred roo with a barred hen. They could be BR x NH but they could be just as easily another cross. They could be pure BR too from the chick description. You really can't tell without knowing the breeds and without knowing you can't be sure they are roos, I have barred crossbred pullets growing out right now.

The best bet for sexing would be clear pics of them, particually of their head and comb. It is very early but by 3wo I can often pick out baby roos with my chicks, usualy because I can see a comb developing already. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by