Is there anyway to tell that my "hen" has ever laid an egg before?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by holliewould, Aug 19, 2008.

1. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    What if she's a hider, or say I've never seen or heard her lay an egg. Is there a way to tell from looking at her britches if she's laid an egg before? In other words, will her bum change shape? They free range so I want to make sure a certain someone isn't hiding her goodies is all. Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    That is a great question. I'd love to hear the answer to this one.... if it's out there![​IMG]

3. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Chickens can be very devious for an animal with a brain about the size of your thumbnail. They will hide eggs in places you would never think of.

The best way to detect a hidden nest is to promise a little kid five dollars to watch and see where she goes to lay.

I have tried to wait them out, sitting out there in my chair just watching. I either fall asleep, or have to go into the house for something. And when I get back, there they are cackling.

Rufus

4. holliewould

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Quote:That's great info. but my question was....can you tell if they've ever laid an egg before. Like.... can you look at their rear ends and tell if they are laying yet.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Flip up some bottoms. Look for pink, slightly swollen, slightly protruding moist vents.

6. holliewould

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Quote:Whoa. I will do that. I'll offend them birdies first thing in the morning and make notes to myself thereafter. I know one isn't laying for sure, the other one I'm keeping an eye out for, mainly because she free ranges and I want to make for certain she isn't keeping the goods for herself(or a roo). Oh and everyone says she looks like a "point of lay" bird. soooooo thanks MP for assigning me to swollen vent duty. [​IMG] Is there no other way hahaha? Either or, I'm checking butts when day breaks. :|

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:I knew it.

8. BUG126

BUG126 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    WA State
    Quote:AH HA! I knew Lucky was doing her business outside! I now dont let them out until the evening.

9. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    I just checked one of my EE's that's been showing signs of wanting to lay for a couple weeks now. (Squatting, hanging out in the nest boxes, etc) and her bum looks like she's been laying eggs, according to your description, but I've had NO green or blue eggs! I have found one that's paler brown than the other eggs we've gotten from our Golden Comets, but I'm not sure if the pale egg is hers or not. There's no way she could hide an egg, mine don't free-range, they are either in the coop or in the tractor, both of which we check on a very regular basis. Almost every hour all during the day. I've sat and watched them [​IMG] but have never caught one actually laying an egg! [​IMG]

Can EE's lay light brown eggs? [​IMG]

I will be SO disappointed if they don't lay colorful eggs! But then again, the color is just pretty and doesn't serve any purpose so I'll still get good eggs from her! And I love her dearly!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by