Is there chickens that lay blue eggs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by heyeighteen, Feb 1, 2011.

1. heyeighteen

heyeighteen New Egg

Feb 1, 2011
    I was told yesterday that there are xhickens that lay blue and green eggs. Is that true? If so, what is the breed name and where can I buy them?

2. tlb796

tlb796 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Portland
    Araucanas & Ameraucans (Spelling) [​IMG]

3. algopurple

algopurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Ripley TN
    Quote:There are several BYC members that breed and sell these chickens. Check out the auction part of this site and you can find some. You can also buy a mixed version of these called EEs. Most hatcheries sell them but you are taking a chance that they will lay brown eggs.

4. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Lots of people sell Easter Eggers as Ameracauna/Aracauna, so do your research & learn the difference! I didn't, but am happy with my EE. I'll be happier though if she starts laying eggs...

5. HennyPenny2

HennyPenny2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, also Easter Eggers which have Americauna or Araucauna (sp?) in them. Mine lay a turquoise blue egg..don't know how to put a pic on here or I'd show you. If you go to my blog at the bottom of the page you can see one next to a brown egg. Also my pic shows what an EE looks like, the one closest is one of them. They are my favorite...I just adore them.

give it another try:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  6. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Ameraucanas and Araucanas lay blue eggs. Easter Eggers lay blue, green, and other colors.

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    People make it a lot more complicated than it has to be, but yes, there are chickens that lay blue and green eggs. The original blue egg laying chickens were from South America. The breeds recognized in the US are the Araucana and Ameraucana, two distinct breeds that, if they are true, always lay blue eggs. When you mix these breeds with other brown egg laying chickens, you get chickens that might lay blue, green , or brown eggs. These are called Easter Eggers. Most of the big hatcheries sell chickens they call Araucana or Ameraucana, but they are really Easter Eggers.

The color does not show as well as I'd like, but here are some green ones mine laid.

[​IMG]

8. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    I have the araucanas and here are some pics of the egg color I routinely get. My are the rumpless tufted araucana. I do get anywhere from nice blue, to turquoise, to green, and depending on their laying cycle, I will get a khaki color also. The turquoise are my favorite. Those are the ones in the top photo middle row.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lanae

10. freddo149

freddo149 New Egg

May 19, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by