Is There Duck Help Out There?

psittacinekane

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 12, 2009
Hello,

Need some help from some duck forum members...I'm losing my Muscovies for some reason, and I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong? or if they've been eating the wrong food? Help!

Symptoms are as follows:

- Duck sits listless for 12 hours, doesn't join the rest of the free-ranging mixed flock of geese, chickens and pekins
- Beak-open panting
- Feces appear to be just water (which isn't surprising really, because the two that I've lost to date don't eat once this happens)
- I find the duck in the pen dead and unmarked the next morning

They are about 4 months old, and on scratch grain, catch frogs, live 12 hours a day in our pond. They also scrounge plenty of growena off the turkeys.

Would really appreciate some suggestions, as I really like this flock and would like to keep the four I have left.

If the growena is medicated for blackhead, that's your problem.

I would also check the health of your pond. These symptoms also can come from fungus or botulism infection. Are they able to get to any soured, wet feed? Any compost? Any stagnant water? Does your pond have a lot of algea?

p.s. Flock Raiser is non-medicated and can be used for turkeys and ducks. So is "gamebird" grower.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom